StudentServices 2 snowbird main art

Perkins - Special Populations

The Perkins IV/Special Populations program offers assistance to qualified career and technical education students. Services offered include tutoring, transportation reimbursement, certain lab fees, books and supplies. In order to qualify for the program, you must receive a PELL Grant, be a career and technical education major and have completed 12 semester hours with a grade point average of 2.0 or better. Selections are based on need. More information is available by contacting the Perkins Coordinator at 618-437-5321, Ext. 1267.

Among career and technical students participating in the Perkins/Special Populations Program are those who…

  • Need to upgrade skills in reading, math, and writing
  • Have difficulty in a class
  • Receive some form of financial assistance
  • Learn in a non-traditional way
  • Are physically challenged
  • Are displaced homemakers
  • Are single parents


The Perkins/Special Populations Program provides services to students that include:

  • Peer and group tutoring
  • Academic and career guidance and counseling
  • Assistance with payment of certain lab fees, books and supplies
  • Career planning
  • Special instructional materials
  • Note-taking

Some limited services available only for specific programs:

  • Transportation monies


Assistance and more information is available from:

College Survival Guide

This mini-survival guide has been prepared especially for YOU in an attempt to make your transition into the college environment a smooth one. RLC Student Services understands your frustration! We have been listening . . . and we know you often have found yourself saying, “NOBODY TOLD ME!” So, we put together a list that hopefully will answer many of your questions about life at Rend Lake College.


Nobody told me...

  • I need to fill out an application form. (In-State residents can complete our New Student Enrollment Form)
  • I need proof (such as a driver’s license or a utility bill) that I am a resident of District 521 (RLC’s District) to be eligible for in-district tuition.
  • I must have my high school and college transcripts sent to RLC’s Student Records Office.
  • If I decide to use my Social Security number as an identifying number, I need to make sure that I use my correct Social Security number on all documents.
  • It is acceptable to NOT have a major during my freshman year.
  • RLC’s nursing programs are selective admissions programs and have specific admission requirements. If I am interested in the nursing program, I should contact the Allied Health Division, Ext. 1251.


Nobody told me...

  • It is a good idea to see an advisor before registration each semester. (Complete list of academic advisors)
  • Classmates are not advisors.
  • The catalog contains information about ALL classes and programs of study offered at RLC. (The catalog is available online.)
  • Withdrawals will not affect my GPA, but they may affect my financial aid.
  • The Associate in Arts (AA) and the Associate in Science (AS) degrees are different.
  • The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree can transfer. Check with your advisor for transferability to a four-year institution.
  • I need to fulfill the constitution requirement to complete my Associate Degree, including the AAS.
  • I need to APPLY FOR GRADUATION the semester before I plan to graduate. (Apply for Graduation)
  • My GPA can affect many things . . . graduation, future college enrollment, scholarship applications, jobs, etc.

Registration / Enrollment

Nobody told me...

  • The first time I register, I need to complete all enrollment procedures in person.
  • I need RLC placement test scores or ACT scores and any college transcripts on file with RLC before enrolling in classes.
  • Schedules are available before enrollment begins, both in paper copy and online.
  • Students are responsible for enrolling, dropping, and withdrawing from classes.
  • Dropping a class and withdrawing from a class are two different things.
  • I will be dropped from my courses for non-payment. Students receiving aid should always contact the Financial Aid Office when registering to be certain that their paperwork is complete.
  • I should not assume that I will be dropped from my courses for not attending.
  • All of my fines and balances must be paid before I can enroll.
  • If I get dropped for non-payment, I will have to pay a $15 service charge before I can re-enroll.

Financial Aid

Nobody told me...

  • I need to apply for financial aid each year, preferably early in the year.
  • I do not need to be a full-time student to be eligible for financial aid.
  • I need to go to the Financial Aid Office to check how withdrawals affect my aid before withdrawing.
  • Non-attendance in my classes will affect the amount of financial aid that I will be eligible to receive.


Nobody told me...

  • There are free tutors available for all students in the Learning Enhancement Center.
  • I am responsible for requesting official transcripts to be sent to other schools.
  • Assistance is available for veterans.
  • I can receive credit for volunteerism and cooperative work study programs.
  • To receive my diploma, I must apply for graduation and pay a graduation fee. The diploma will be mailed 4-6 weeks after the end of the semester. (More information:Graduation)
  • I can ask my academic advisor or counselor ANY question. ALL questions are valid!
  • Librarians are willing to help with research projects.
  • The Student Code of Conduct found in the Student Handbook binds all students.
  • To receive my grades, I must create an Online Student Records System account. Grade cards are not sent through mail.
  • I need a Rend Lake College Student ID.

Transferring to a Four-Year University

Nobody told me...

  • I need to be considering attendance at a university early in my college career.
  • I need to contact the universities and ask them to send me their catalogs, applications, scholarship information, program specific information, housing information, etc.
  • While RLC advisors will assist me in choosing the appropriate transfer courses, I should contact the university where I plan to transfer and confirm these choices.
  • I will need to request an official transcript be sent to my transfer college.
  • That A.A.S. degrees can transfer to a university.

Student Services
Phone Number: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1343

Address: 468 N. Ken Gray Parkway, Ina, IL 62846 Attn: Student Services
Fax Number: (618) 437-5677 Attn: Student Services

The best decorated cap at Commencement this year will win a $50 Amazon gift card. Find out more




The 10:00 AM Ceremony is for Associate in Applied Science and Occupational Certificate graduates.

Watch live during the event or watch the archive after.

The 1:00 PM Ceremony is for Associate in Arts, Science, Engineering, and Fine Arts graduates.

Watch live during the event or watch the archive after.


The Commencement ceremony is the culmination of the student’s program of study. Each May, Rend Lake College conducts a graduation exercise whereby faculty, staff, family and friends come together to recognize and honor academic achievements. All eligible degree and certificate recipients are encouraged to participate in the Commencement ceremony.

Participation in this ceremony is allowed prior to verification of completion of final courses. The student should be within six credit hours of fulfilling graduation requirements, and requirements should be completed in the summer session following May graduation. The actual degree or certificate is posted to the official transcript and the certificate or diploma is released when all requirements have been met and verified by the Director of Student Records.

Graduation Application Process

Students must apply to receive their respective diplomas for an Associate in Arts Degree, Associate in Science Degree, Associate in Fine Arts Degree, Associate in Engineering Science Degree, Associate in Applied Science Degree or a certificate for Occupational Certificate programs. Students who complete the Graduation Application form will receive a pre-graduation academic audit and be informed of any deficiencies.

Meeting graduation requirements ultimately is the responsibility of the student. Students are encouraged to be familiar with the catalog and program requirements and to work with their academic advisors or counselors in selecting courses.

Students may fulfill degree/certificate requirements

  1. Of the catalog in effect at the time of their initial enrollment, provided they have maintained continuous enrollment, or
  2. Students may elect to fulfill the degree/certificate requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of their graduation.

Students entering under the degree and certificate requirements cited in this catalog will continue under these requirements as long as they are continuous students at Rend Lake College. Standing as a continuous student is lost if either of the following should occur:

  1. The student does not complete credit classes at Rend Lake College for two consecutive semesters, excluding summer terms.
  2. A period of five years elapses before the degree or certificate is completed.

If students are unable to complete the requirements within the five-year time frame, they may appeal to the Vice President of Student Services to use a specified catalog other than the one in effect at the time of re-enrollment or at time of graduation.

Students may be required to follow degree requirements outlined in later catalogs when certificate, degree programs or courses have been extensively modified from previous catalogs. The Vice President of Instruction makes this decision.


  • First Friday in May – Summer graduation (July)
  • First Friday in September – Fall graduation (December)
  • First Friday in December – Spring graduation (May)

2019 Rend Lake College Commencement

Saturday, May 18 James Waugh Gymnasium 
Ina, IL 62846

10:00 AM Ceremony - Associate in Applied Science and Occupational Certificate graduates
1:00 PM Ceremony - Associate in Arts, Science, Engineering, and Fine Arts graduates

Graduation Instructions to Students

CONGRATULATIONS Rend Lake College Graduate!

The graduation ceremonies will take place in the College Gymnasium on Saturday, May 18, 2019. The graduation ceremony to be held at 10:00 a.m. is for Associate in Applied Science and Occupational Certificate graduates and the 1:00 p.m. ceremony is for Associate in Arts, Science, Engineering, and Fine Arts graduates. Your family and friends are invited to attend.

Graduates must arrive at the South Oasis no later than 9:30 a.m. for the 10:00 a.m. ceremony and 12:30 p.m. for the 1:00 p.m. ceremony. Line up in alphabetical order.

Look for signs and the following faculty or staff member to assist you at the South Oasis: 

  • Graduates with last name A-F...West Corridor...Tim Wills
  • Graduates with last name G-L...West Ramp and Pit Area...Jessica Phillips
  • Graduates with last name M-R...East Ramp and Corridor...Abbi Kash
  • Graduates with last name S-Z…North Corridor...Summer Braden

ENTRANCE/EXIT FROM THE CEREMONY - Graduates will enter the gymnasium from the north side, west door. The Associate Vice President of Academic & Student Services will lead graduates into the gym and will direct graduates when and where to exit. Graduates are asked to remain in their places until instructed to leave.

PHI THETA KAPPA - Phi Theta Kappa stoles may be picked up from Jena Jensik in the Academic Advisement Center in the Administration Building Room 107.

ANNOUNCEMENTS - Graduation announcements are available for purchase from the Rend Lake College Book Store. The Book Store will be open for business from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. on the day of commencement.

CAPS AND GOWNS - Students may keep caps, gowns and tassels as mementos. Caps should be placed on the head so that the mortarboard is level. The tassel is worn over the right temple and should not be shifted from one side to the other when the diploma is received. The Vice President of Instruction will direct students when to switch the tassel after all students have been seated.

NATIONAL ANTHEM - The flag will be displayed hanging from the ceiling in the center of the gym and near the platform. Graduates are asked to observe the flag near the platform. Men are asked to remove their caps during the National Anthem. Women may leave their caps on their head.

CEREMONY PROCEDURE - Graduates will rise one row at a time, as directed. Graduates will be directed to the stage. Students will hand the reader their name card, received when lining up for graduation. Students are not to approach the podium until their name is read. After receiving your diploma, continue walking across the stage to north stage ramp and return to your seats. Once the row is filled, you will be directed on your left side to be seated together.

DIPLOMAS - A diploma cover will be issued at the ceremony and the diploma will be mailed if all requirements are completed. There are a large number of graduates for the spring semester, please be patient and allow 4-6 weeks for your diploma to be mailed. Degree candidates shall be responsible for making sure that all degree requirements are met and that all financial obligations are cleared.

PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED - Anyone who is not physically able to participate or needs special accommodations should notify Gary McGill, Chief of Security, or Lisa Price, Vice President of Student Services. (Highlighted can be removed.) *Note:  If you have any family members or friends needing wheelchair assistance onto the floor, please have them arrive at least 30 minutes before the commencement ceremony to be assisted.

PHOTOGRAPHER - Please note that there will be a photographer for the commencement ceremony. Your picture will be taken as you receive your diploma cover on stage as well as when you line up, before you go across the stage. Picture ordering will be made available to you, if you choose to order, by email/mail a couple weeks after the ceremony by Lifetouch Photography. The site to view your pictures will be

VIDEO STREAMING – For family members and friends who are not able to attend the ceremonies, video streaming of both ceremonies will be available on our website at

EMPLOYMENT RESOURCES – If you are seeking employment after graduation from Rend Lake College, please check out our online job board at, or if you are in need of job search resources or assistance with résumé & cover letter development, go to For questions regarding these services, contact Kaylee Smith at 618-437-5321 ext. 1264 or .

FLOWERS – The Foundation will have red and white carnations available in front of the gymnasium on commencement day. They will be $2 per stem or at a discounted rate for a bouquet. For questions, contact the Foundation Office at 618-437-5321, ext. 1324.


Photos from our 51ST COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY in 2018

RLC Commencement 2018

Student Services
Phone Number: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1343

Address: 468 N. Ken Gray Parkway, Ina, IL 62846 Attn: Student Services
Fax Number: (618) 437-5677 Attn: Student Services

Housing & Transportation


Rend Lake College does not own housing. However, there are many privately owned housing options for students looking to live in a community near the Ina Campus. Some cities and towns near Ina include Bonnie, Benton, Sesser, Mt. Vernon, Whittington and Ewing. View a map.

Disclaimer: The facilities for sale/rent listed below are privately owned. They are not assets of Rend Lake College.

Housing Listed ▼

Apple Tree Apartment Rentals (618) 437-5735
Ina, IL 62846

• Three Bedroom Downstairs Apartment for three students. Includes: all utilities, internet, satellite, dishwasher, washer/dryer, screened deck, large fenced yard. First month rent, last month rent, security deposit; and credit check.
• Large One Bedroom Furnished Split Upstairs Apartment for two students. Includes: all utilities, internet, satellite, washer/dryer, screened deck, fenced yard. First month rent, last month rent, security deposit; and credit check.
• Efficiency Apartment for one student. Includes: all utilities, internet, satellite, dishwasher, washer/dryer, fenced yard. First month rent, last month rent, security deposit; and credit check.

Bonnie House Rental (217) 783-6542 or (217) 246-6547
5003 N. Cherryville Lane
Bonnie, IL 62816

Two bedroom home for rent. Nice neighborhood, 11 minutes from RLC, furnished, would potentially hold 3 students. Deposit and references required.

Chesterfield Village (618) 242-7534
4201 Valley Forge Rd.
Mt. Vernon, IL 62864

Students may rent only if parent/guardian will co-sign. They offer a studio at $512, a one bedroom at $582, or a two bedroom at $682 with a 12 month lease. There is an application fee of $30. Down deposit is one month rent. No pets allowed.

Economy Inn (618) 214-1715
Mt. Vernon, IL 62864

• American owned inn. Clean and quite rooms, all utilities furnished, plus large Ref, TV, HBO, Micro, Furniture, phone, laundry, private mailboxes, starting at $185 plus tax per week. Can work out other payment plans for students.
• House for rent. Excellent location, two bedrooms, with refrigerator and stove, central heating and a/c, with storage shed. $450/month + deposit.
• House for rent. Excellent location, one bedroom with full basement and garage, appliances, new paint and carpet. $485/month + deposit.

Hill City Apartments (618) 534-3373
Benton, IL 62812

1 and 2 bedroom apartments, no pets. Leased at owners discretion.

Martlet Star (312)-404-1212
Benton, IL
Contact: Ask for Mr. Quincy

Rooms for rent. Prices range from $460 per month with $300 deposit. 10 month lease or negotiable. Fully furnished with all necessary appliances. All utilities included, including basic cable and Wi-Fi internet. No pets.

Rend Lake Apartments (314) 749-0243
Ina, IL 62846

Within walking distance to campus. 2 Bedroom/2 bath Student Apartment. Located just south of Rend Lake College. Contact Steve.


MetroTravelGuide - Provides a map of hotels within 15 miles of the Rend Lake College Main Campus



Are you looking for transportation to and from Rend Lake College?

Students can charge South Central Transit (SCT) money cards to their financial aid if they have funds remaining after their direct expenses with the college have been paid. SCT is a public shuttle that services Franklin and Jefferson counties. They have many pick-up and drop-off points within those counties.

Bus Route Maps

Please visit the SCT website at and download your route in the lower left at the bottom of the page. 

Bus passes are available for purchase. If you are interested in using your extra financial aid funds to purchase an SCT money card, please contact RLC Financial Aid.  

SCT Money Card

South Central Transit Monday Card Fare Information

Visit SCT website for full fare information:

Discounts are provided for veterans, persons with disabilities, senior citizens, children, and those who purchase Money Cards.


Student Services
Phone Number: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1343

Address: 468 N. Ken Gray Parkway, Ina, IL 62846 Attn: Student Services
Fax Number: (618) 437-5677 Attn: Student Services

Disability Services

Disability Access Services provides accommodations and services to students with documented disabilities who are currently enrolled at Rend Lake College. These accommodations and services are offered in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.


You are otherwise qualified for the program or class and your disability interferes with your ability to participate in class.
You are otherwise qualified for the program or class and you have a legitimate educational purpose and need for requested accommodations or materials for use in class.


Equal opportunity and access to participate, work and learn
Reasonable accommodations
Appropriate confidentiality
Information about available services and accommodations
Accessible campus facilities


Identify themselves early in order to receive requested accommodations in a timely manner
Provide current and valid documentation that provides enough information for DAS staff to determine appropriate academic adjustments
Meet qualifications and standards set forth for all Rend Lake College students
Advocate for their individual needs


Require documentation of disabilities
Determine what accommodations are appropriate
Provide only those accommodations required by the disability that do not sacrifice the academic integrity of the program, course, or activity


Ensure that its programs and facilities are accessible and usable
Inform students of available accommodations and procedures for requesting them
Make reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.


Students with disabilities who wish to request accommodations and services may apply with DAS. Appropriate documentation of disability(s) must be provided.

After registering, the appropriate accommodations will be determined on an individual basis. An accommodation plan will be developed and updated each semester or as needed.

Disability Services Coordinator

Sue Cunningham
North Oasis Room #130
Phone: (618) 437-5321 xt 1204

For additional information about Postsecondary Education and Students with Disabilities, visit the Department of Education’s web site at

Test Proctoring

The Baker Administration Building is now the home for test proctoring services on the Rend Lake College Campus. Our staff is available to facilitate make up testing in a convenient, structured environment with flexible hours to accommodate most schedules.

RLC Students:

  • You must make every effort to attend the tests given by your instructor on the test date.
  • In the event that you miss a test, you must contact your instructor to make arrangements for make-up testing with him or her first.
  • If a time cannot be arranged to meet with the instructor, he/she will provide and schedule a make-up test with the Testing Center (Extension 1268) during the posted testing hours.
  • You must bring a valid picture identification (Driver’s license or student ID) with you in order to make up a test.
  • You must read and sign the student testing agreement.
  • Academic dishonesty will not be tolerated and the same penalties apply just as if you were testing in the classroom

Non-RLC Students:

  • You must make contact with the Testing Center (Extension 1268) in order to arrange delivery and instructions for testing from your institution. There is a $15 fee for test administration.
  • You must bring a valid picture ID (Driver’s license or student ID) with you in order to take the test.
  • You must read and sign the student testing agreement.
  • You will be subject to Rend Lake College’s policies on Academic Dishonesty and will be subject to the same penalties as RLC students for abuse of this policy.
  • We reserve the right to deny the testing service to any outside agency should the offering of this service become problematic.

Testing Center
Department Phone Number: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1268
Department Email:
Address: 468 N. Ken Gray Parkway, Ina, IL 62846 Attn: Testing Center
Fax Number: (618) 437-5677 Attn: Testing Center

Testing Center

The Testing Center is located in the Baker Administration Building on our Ina Campus. We offer a range of testing services, including placement tests, general test proctoring and testing for outside agencies. You can even take examinations for college credit. View the information below to get started with Testing Center services at RLC.


 ACCUPLACER is a series of untimed computerized placement tests developed by American College Testing (ACT). Students need to take the ACCUPLACER test if they plan to take a class with a math, English and/or reading prerequisite.

1 Enroll at RLC      2 Call to set up your test 618-437-5321 Ext. 1266

note icon Students are exempt if they scored at least a 20 in English, a 20 in Reading and a 22 in Math on the ACT; or a 480 in English and a 530 in Math on the SAT. ACCUPLACER testing takes place on a daily basis on campus with other testing dates and times scheduled as needed. Test scores are valid for five years. Students are allowed to take the ACCUPLACER test a maximum of two times after the beginning of their senior year in high school.



Why should I take the ACCUPLACER Test? - To evaluate the student's educational abilities for advisement and placement in areas that are important in college: Sentence Skills, Reading Skills, Elementary Algebra and Arithmetic. 

Who must take the ACCUPLACER Test? - Students seeking to register for a course requiring a math, reading and/or English prerequisite score. Test results are valid for 5 years and can be taken twice after the beginning of the student's senior year. Students who already hold college degrees, students with special testing needs or students with other special testing considerations should contact test administrators prior to testing.

Who is exempt? - Students with the following ACT scores: ENGLISH = 20, READING = 20, MATH = 22. Students with the following SAT scores: ENGLISH = 480, MATH = 530.

How many times can I test? Students may retest one time. The highest score will be used for placement.

Where should I test? The ACCUPLACER test is given in the RLC Testing Center, Baker Administration Building Room 116. Testing is done by appointment 9:00 AM Monday-Friday or 1:30 PM Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.

What are the costs? Students are not charged a fee to take ACCUPLACER.

What should I bring? Your social security number.

What are the tests like? Although testing is done on a computer, no computer experience is required. Directions are clearly stated, and help is available. Your test is highly individualized and tailored to your skill. There is no time limit. Most students complete the testing in about 2 hours. Scores are available as soon as testing is complete.

For more information, contact the RLC Academic Advisement Center at 618-437-5321 Ext. 1266 or 1268.


Psychological Service Bureau (PSB)
— Medical Assistant, Nursing & Radiology

Psychological Service Bureau Health Careers Aptitude Test

PSB tests are offered once each semester, excluding summer. Testing dates are made available in August and January. Call 618-437-5321 Ext. 1266 for testing dates. PSB tests are required for students attempting entrance into the following programs: Medical Assistant, Nursing & Radiology. 

PSB is $30. Photo ID required. Get dates and schedule by calling 618-437-5321 Ext. 1266

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Academically talented students can demonstrate mastery of certain courses or subject areas and receive college credit. 

RLC awards credit for CLEP scores of 50 or more in these subject areas:

CLEP Test … Receives credit for RLC course …
College Mathematics MATH 1107
College Algebra MATH 1108
Calculus MATH 1121
Macroeconomics ECON 2101
Microeconomics ECON 2102
Biology BIO 1100
Chemistry CHE 1101
American Government POLI 2101
American Literature ENGL 2111 and ENGL 2112
Educational Psychology PSYC 2103
English Composition (With essay) ENGL 1101
English Literature ENGL 2109 and ENGL 2110
History of the United States I HIST 2101
History of the United States II HIST 2102
Human Growth & Development PSYC 2102
Humanities HUMT 1105
Psychology PSYC 2101
Sociology SOCI 1101
Spanish SPAN 1101, SPAN 1102, 2101 and 2102
Western Civilization I HIST 1101
Western Civilization II HIST 1102
Information Systems & Computer Applications CSCI 1101

$15 RLC test proctoring fee. $87 CLEP exam fee. See CLEP website for more info




ACCUPLACER is a web-based assessment tool to determine skills in reading, writing, and math. It is untimed. ACCUPLACER may determine whether a student goes directly into a college-level course or a remedial class.

Illinois State Police (ISP)

Illinois State Police

 We are a testing site for the Illinois State Police Merit Board, which serves applicants for becoming an Illinois State Trooper.


Manufacturing Skills Standards Council (MSSC)

MSSC testing is managed through RLC's Community and Corporate Education division. Interested in taking a certification exam? Contact RLC Community and Corporate Education to set up a time to take the exam in our Testing Center.

MSSC Assessments tested at RLC include Safety, Quality Practices & Measurement, Manufacturing Processes and Production, Maintenance Awareness, and Green Production.

note icon Get prepared for MSSC tests with training through RLC Community and Corporate Education.

 $60 one-time setup fee. $50 per exam. Call Community and Corporate Education 618-437-5321 Ext. 1380.


Certiport Testing

RLC is a Certiport Testing Center where students can test for the Microsoft Professional Certifications in Academic Advisement. This allows students in the Office Systems Technology, IT Systems Assistant, and IT Systems Specialist programs to get their Microsoft certifications. The certifications give students an advantage when an employer is looking to hire someone with Microsoft skills.

General Test Proctoring

Do you need to take a test for a class at another institution? We offer convenient test proctoring with a representative of RLC's Testing Center. There is a $15 fee for each test. Call to schedule. 618-437-5321 Ext. 1268.



Testing Center
Department Phone Number: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1268
Department Email:
Address: 468 N. Ken Gray Parkway, Ina, IL 62846 Attn: Testing Center
Fax Number: (618) 437-5677 Attn: Testing Center


Student Transfer And Retention Support

Our STARS Program is a Student Support Services grant, funded by the U. S. Department of Education as a component of TRIO. It is designed to help eligible Rend Lake College students make the most of their college years by offering the advisement and academic support that may be needed to successfully complete a college degree and transfer to a four-year university.  The STARS Program assists 160 Rend Lake College students each year. 

Anyone who is a Rend Lake College student at the present time may apply for admittance into the STARS program. To apply, simply stop by the STARS office in the South Oasis and fill out an application, or print an application from this website and return it to the STARS office. The STARS staff will review the application and notify you within two weeks if you are selected.

STARS brochure thumb 

Federal eligibility criteria include:

1 First generation college students (neither parent has completed a bachelor’s degree) 
2 Students who meet federal income guidelines (receiving a Pell grant)
3 Learning/Physically disabled students
4 Students with a combination of the above
5 U. S. Citizens or holders of a residential visa


STARS apply redwashsmall       LikeUsFBredwashiconsmall   Useful Links




note iconStudent Support Services is a grant developed in 1965 under Title IV of the Higher Education and Cooperation Act and is administered by the U. S. Department of Education. There are over 900 Student Support Services programs serving college students nationwide. Rend Lake College was awarded a TRIO Student Support Services grant for the first time in 1997.

Useful Links

Transfer Colleges:
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale -
Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville -
Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Illinois -
Murray State University in Murray, Kentucky -
University of Illinois, Springfield -
University of Illinois, Chicago -
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign -
McKendree University in Lebanon, Illinois -
Greenville College -

Scholarship Information:
College View—
College Board Search—
Illinois Dollars for Scholars—
SIU-C Scholarship Search—
RLC Foundation Scholarship Opportunities— — —

Other Useful Websites:
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) —
The Student Survival Manual —
MatchCollege -


Our STARS Program is a Student Support Services grant, funded by the U. S. Department of Education as a component of TRIO. It is designed to help eligible Rend Lake College students make the most of their college years by offering the counseling and academic support that may be needed to successfully complete a college degree and transfer to a four-year university.  The STARS Program assists 160 Rend Lake College students each year. 

note iconStudent Support Services is a grant developed in 1965 under Title IV of the Higher Education and Cooperation Act and is administered by the U. S. Department of Education. There are over 900 Student Support Services programs serving college students nationwide. Rend Lake College was awarded a TRIO Student Support Services grant for the first time in 1997.



1098T online promo sq