Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Unmanned aircraft systems offer cutting-edge technology. In addition to business operations and programming, the collection and analysis of geospatial data offers a wide range of possibilities for many occupations. The use of unmanned aircraft systems provides students access to relevant, real-time data and valuable experience. The use of unmanned aircraft systems is limitless and will continue to open opportunities in many professional fields as technology improves.
According to statistics from the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, UASs will create approximately 100,000 new jobs by 2025 - a total economic impact of $82 billion. Graduates from RLC’s program will be prepared to take the UAS Certification examination, given by the Federal Aviation Administration. Students who pass will have the ability to work with the UAS in the national airspace for profit.
UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS — Certificate
Unmanned aircraft systems offer cutting-edge technology. In addition to business operations and programming, the collection and analysis of geospatial data offers a wide range of possibilities for many occupations. The use of unmanned aircraft systems provides students access to relevant real-time data and valuable experience. Successful completion of a criminal background check is required. To become a certified operator, students must be 17 years of age, pass an aeronautical knowledge test, and be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration.
► Total = 9 Hours
First Semester (9 Cr. Hrs.)
- UAS 1200 Intro to Unmanned Aircraft Systems (3)
- UAS 1201 Advanced Unmanned Aircraft Systems (3)
- UAS 1202 Unmanned Aircraft Systems Law & Test Prep (3)
Program OutcomesUnmanned Aircraft Systems
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude to operate an sUAS in the national airspace.
- Apply all applicable state and federal laws pertaining to sUAS flight in the national airspace
- Perform accurate record keeping in accordance with FAA guidelines
- Exhibit knowledge of all sUAS pre-flight procedures in accordance with FAA guidelines.
- Successfully complete all necessary training and examinations to become an FAA licensed sUAS pilot.
Employment OpportunitiesStudents who successfully complete this program will be qualified for a number of employment opportunities, which might include careers in a number of private or public service sectors:
• Army Corps of Engineers
• Computer Programming
• Cyber Security
• Information Technology
• Law Enforcement
• Private Contracting
• Private Detective
Faculty & Staff
Connect with us!
Academic Advisement Center
Administration Building, Office 115
[email protected] • 618.437.5321, Ext. 1266
College office hours
Monday - Thursday: 8 AM – 4:30 PM • Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
Monday – Thursday: 8 AM – 4 PM During Summer