Liske seated as Student Trustee, Smith recognized
Elijah Liske was seated as the new student member of the Rend Lake College Board of Trustees for the 2014-2015 academic year. Liske (Sesser) is studying Agricultural Production and Management and Agricultural Mechanics.
Liske replaces outgoing student trustee Haden Smith (Wayne City), who was recognized with a plaque for his year of service on the board.
VP of Academic Instruction announces retirement
The board accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Chris Kuberski, Vice President of Academic Instruction, effective June 30, 2018. Kuberski has been with Rend Lake College full-time since August 1989, teaching English and Speech as a full-time faculty member before becoming head of the Liberal Arts Division. She assumed her current position as a vice president in July 2008.
"Rend Lake College has provided me with opportunities I would never have imagined in my early days as a part-time instructor," Kuberski wrote in her retirement letter. "My life has been enriched by the students, faculty, staff, community members and community college colleagues that I have encountered as a representative of Rend Lake College. It has always been and continues to be my hope that my contributions to the institution have made it an even better place for students to learn."
Student Services transfers approved
The board approved two personnel moves involving the Student Services Department.
- Transferred Charlotte Loquasto from Records Specialist to Testing and Placement Specialist effective May 5. She has experience with the current aspects of the position as well as technology experience, and will be able to update software and troubleshoot the programs used in the testing lab.
- Transferred Beth Stevens from Administrative Assistant to the Allied Health Division to Records Specialist effective May 5, filling the vacancy from Loquato's transfer. Stevens' strengths include knowledge of campus programs, admission requirements and student support.
President, CFO contracts renewed
The contracts for Terry Wilkerson, Rend Lake College President, and Angie Kistner, Vice President of Finance and Administration, were renewed at the terms and length agreed upon with the Board of Trustees.
Amended retirements for two
Approval was granted to amended retirement dates for two employees. Cathy Cross, Administrative Assistant for the Liberal Arts Division, and Lisa Payne, Vice President of Career Technical Instruction, moved their previously set retirement dates of June 30, 2015, and July 1, 2014, respectively, to June 29, 2014. The moves were made due to State University Retirement System pension plan changes set to take effect July 1, 2014.
Dance program suspended
The board granted permission to suspend the dance program effective immediately. According to administrative rationale, the program was recommended for suspension because of a lack of state funding and tuition reimbursement, the fact that very few Illinois community colleges have dance programs, and low interest in the program. No student-athletes have been recruited for the 2014-2015 academic year.
In other business, the board ...
- Approved the 2014-2015 RLC Student Handbook.
- Approved revision to board procedure concerning fees.
- Approved submission of the Statement of Final Construction Compliance on the Excess Protection, Health and Safety Funds project for parking lot lighting replacement.
Mark your calendars …
- Student Art Show, March 27-May 2, Reception 6-8 p.m. March 27, RLC Theatre and Theatre Lobby.
- Phi Theta Kappa Induction, 3 p.m. Wednesday, April 9, RLC Theatre.
- Lake (RLC Fine Arts publication) Readings, 4:30 p.m. Thursday, April 10, Pheasant Hollow Winery.
- RLC Agricultural Banquet, 6 p.m. Thursday, April 10, Waugh Gymnasium.
- Southeast Region Trustees Meeting, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 24, Robert L. Meese Village Centre, John A. Logan College.
- Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 24, RLC Theatre.
- RLC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Banquet, 5:30 p.m. Saturday, April 26, Pat Kern Private Dining Area, Rend Lake College.
- Spring Orchestra Concert, 2 p.m. Sunday, April 27, RLC Theatre.
- Flummoxed Fairy Tales, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Thursday, May 1, and Friday, May 2, RLC Theatre.
- RLC Board / Faculty / Staff Awards, 4-6 p.m. Friday, May 9, Birdie's at the Rend Lake Golf Course.
- Associate Degree Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 15, Waugh Gymnasium.
- Commencement, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday, May 17, Waugh Gymnasium.