Evrard-Strang to renovate A&P lab
The board accepted the bid of $223,500 from Evrard-Strang Construction Inc. of Marion for the renovation of the Anatomy and Physiology lab. Funds for the project will come from the Title III grant. The new lab will better serve the needs of students and will help alleviate the current overcrowding of the existing labs in the building. The new facility also will help meet the demands of pre-Allied Health students, and will meet objectives contained in the Title III grant.
Three new hires join ranks
- Kathy Evans, Title III Activity Director / Activity Specialist, on a temporary full-time basis effective Jan. 15. She holds a Master's Degree in Business Administration from Indiana Wesleyan University, a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business and Economics from Indiana University and a Licensed Practical Nursing certificate from Southeastern Illinois College. She recently was clinical director for Bethany Village Assisted Living in Indianapolis.
- Katherine Hunter, Administrative Assistant for the Mining and Industrial Department, effective Jan. 20. She holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Sports Management with a minor in Business from Indiana University and an Associate in Science Degree from Parkland College. She most recently was Director of Administration and Human Resources for the United States Auto Club.
- Megan Rounds, STARS / TRiO / Student Support Services Advisor, effective Jan. 15. She holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education from Southern Illinois University Carbondale as well as Associate in Science and Arts degrees from Rend Lake College. She most recently was a substitute teacher for the Sesser-Valier school district.
Foundation to seek administrative assistant
Granted permission to create the position and advertise for an Administrative Assistant to the RLC Foundation and approved the accompanying job description. As the Foundation continues to grow, the workload has reached a point where an additional staff member is necessary.
Project CHILD's Schuster moving on
Accepted with regret the resignation of Christina Schuster, Parent Services Coordinator for Project CHILD, effective Jan. 2. "I appreciate the opportunities I have been given during my time with Project CHILD and Rend Lake College, as well as your professional guidance and support," Schuster wrote in her letter of resignation.
In other business, the board ...
- Approved revisions to board policy and procedure concerning tuition waivers (second reading), community use of college facilities (second reading), reimbursement of miscellaneous department expenses (first reading) and travel reimbursement (first reading).
- Created board policy and procedure concerning firearm concealed carry (second reading).
- Approved revisions to board policy concerning leaves (first reading).
- Approved revisions to board procedure concerning job descriptions and purchases.
- Authorized destruction of closed session tapes after being held for 18 months in accordance with and as provided by the Illinois Open Meetings Act.
- Approved the termination of employment of a groundskeeper.
Mark your calendars …
- Visiting Artist Series: Wheat Elder, Jan. 17-Feb. 28, RLC Theatre Lobby.
- Thespian Comedy Improv, 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 30, RLC Theatre.
- WYSE Competition, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 5.
- Homecoming, Monday, Feb. 10, 2014; women's basketball game at 5:30 p.m., men's basketball game at 7:30 p.m.; Waugh Gymnasium.
- Art Demonstration: Jerome Wisehart, 12:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 13, RLC Theatre.
- Student Recital, 7 p.m. Thursday, March 20, RLC Theatre.
- Phi Theta Kappa Induction, 3 p.m. Wednesday, March 26, RLC Theatre.
- Student Art Show, March 27-May 2, Reception 6-8 p.m. March 27, RLC Theatre and Theatre Lobby.
- Job Fair, 3-6 p.m. Tuesday, April 1, Mt. Vernon Holiday Inn.