Tentative FY 2014 budget approved
Approved the tentative Fiscal Year 2014 budget. As required by law, the proposed budget will be available for public inspection for 30 days and a public hearing on the budget will be held at 6 p.m. prior to the regular board meeting scheduled for Sept. 17.
Three new employees hired
The board appointed three new employees:
- Emily Bowers, Biology Instructor, effective Aug. 15. She holds a Bachelor's Degree in Biomedical Sciences and a Master of Science Degree in Biology, both from Southeast Missouri State University. She most recently was an adjunct faculty member at John A. Logan College.
- Curtis Caldwell, Custodial Supervisor, effective Sept. 3. He earned an occupational certificate in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning from Rend Lake College and most recently was property manager for Westmont Apartments in Mt. Vernon. He also has worked as a part-time custodian for RLC in the past.
- Ann Sutton, Testing and Placement Specialist, effective August 16. She holds a Bachelor's Degree in English from Southern Illinois University and most recently served as Outpatient Services Director for the Human Resources Center in Paris, Ill.
Permission granted to advertise for, hire, ratify three positions
The board granted permission to advertise and hire for three positions, all set for ratification at the September Board of Trustees meeting:
- Director of the Area Health Education Center (AHEC) – This is a temporary full-time grant-funded position, needed to fill RLC's requirements to become a partner with the University of Illinois School of Medicine and the AHEC grant. The board granted permission to create the position, approved the accompanying job description, and authorized advertising for the position.
- Medical Coding Instructor – This position is needed to meet the demands of the industry as certificates and standards change.
- Cosmetology Instructor – This will be an additional faculty member at Studio RLC, located at the RLC MarketPlace in Mt. Vernon. Instructor continuity with students is important for instruction, retention and completion. Cosmetology classes run year-round and do not break between semesters.
In other business, the board ...
- Approved changes to the college's mission documents to reflect the current organizational chart.
- Approved changes to board procedure concerning job descriptions.
- Approved the Student Athlete Handbook.
- Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace (first reading).
Mark your calendars …
- RLC MarketPlace Open House, 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 12, RLC MarketPlace.
- Illinois College Exposition, 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, Waugh Gymnasium.
- RLC Foundation Golf Outing, Thursday, Sept. 19, Rend Lake Golf Course, noon shotgun start.
- Fun Fest, Noon-3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25, RLC Campus.
- RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, 5 p.m. Monday, Oct. 14, Rend Lake Resort.