Board renews contract of President Wilkerson
The board renewed the contract of President Terry Wilkerson as Rend Lake College President effective July 1. "Terry came in as a first-time president. There were several things the board wanted him to do, and he has accomplished them," said Board Chair Bryan Drew. "He has shown real leadership ability and this renegotiation is the board's way of expressing our confidence in him."
Haden Smith seated as Student Trustee
Newly elected Student Trustee Haden Smith (Wayne City) was seated at Tuesday's meeting. Smith, a sophomore majoring in Agricultural Production and Management, will serve a one-year term. He replaces outgoing Student Trustee Kelsey Allen (Bonnie).
Veteran Mowrer to retire from SBDC
The board accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Curt Mowrer, Director of the Illinois Small Business Development Center at Rend Lake College, effective Dec. 31, 2014. He has been with RLC full-time since October 1999.
"I believe Rend Lake College is on a road to unprecedented growth in assisting its students in succeeding in their educations," Mowrer wrote in his letter of retirement. "In my opinion, the quality of this institution's staff and faculty is unprecedented. I not only work here, but I graduated from this great institution. It has been a rewarding ride."
Wheeler transferred to Marketing Specialist, college to seek Public Information Specialist
The board granted permission to create the position, approve the job description and transfer Nathan Wheeler to Marketing Specialist effective April 10. Wheeler previously served as Assistant Director of Marketing & Public Information.
In a related action, the board granted permission to create the position, approve the job description and advertise for a Public Information Specialist.
According to administrative rationale, the duties of the Marketing and Public Information Department have expanded to the point where an additional staff person has become a necessity.
IT Department to hire Report Writer
The board granted permission to create the position, approve the job description and advertise for a Report Writer for the Information Technology Department. The position is needed to assist with creation, testing and validation of reports to meet state, federal and institutional reporting requirements.
Project CHILD transfers Traylor
Granted permission to create the position and job description and appoint Deidra Traylor as Provider Recruitment / Quality Specialist effective May 1. This position is with Project CHILD, the Child Care Resource and Referral program based at the RLC MarketPlace in Mt. Vernon. Recently, Project CHILD was informed that they would be receiving additional funds from the Illinois Department of Human Services which will be used to help the entity remain solvent. A requirement of receiving these additional funds is to have a staff person facilitate the Quality Rating System. Traylor currently is employed as the Parent / Provider Recruitment Specialist for Project CHILD and has the knowledge necessary to facilitate the Quality Rating System.
In other business, the board ...
- Approved changes in the number of credit hours for an Enology course (Introduction to Wine Microorganisms) as well as to the total credit hours required for the Enology Associate in Applied Science Degree and occupational certificate.
- Approved a corporate banking resolution needed to transfer signatory authority on accounts held at Old National Bank. The transfer was necessary due to the hire last month of Angie Kistner as Vice President of Finance and Administration and the transfer of Wendy Smith to Controller.
- Approved revisions to board procedure concerning job descriptions and stipends.
- Set the out-of-district tuition rate at $148.50 per credit hour beginning with the Summer 2013 term.
- Approved an extended leave of absence for Wayne Caplinger, Maintenance Technician, through May 31.
Mark your calendars …
- Student Art Show, on display through May 3, RLC Theatre and Lobby.
- RLC Orchestra Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 9, RLC Theatre.
- HLC Substantive Change Request Visit, Monday-Tuesday, April 15-16.
- RLC Student Recital, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 18, RLC Theatre.
- RLC Spring Concert featuring the Concert Band and Concert Choir, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 25, RLC Theatre.
- Faculty / Staff Recognition, 4:30 p.m. Thursday, May 2, Rend Lake Resort.
- Flummoxed Fairy Tales, 10 a.m. Thursday, May 2, and 1 p.m. Friday, May 3, RLC Theatre.
- Student Appreciation Days, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday, May 7, and Wednesday, May 8.
- Associate Degree Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 16, RLC Gymnasium.
- Commencement, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday, May 18, RLC Gymnasium.