Long-time CFO Carlock to retire June 30, will be succeeded by veteran Controller Kistner
The board accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Bob Carlock, Vice President of Finance and Administration, effective June 30. This will mark the second time Carlock has retired from this position, having initially left in 2008. He returned to work in May 2010.
In a related action, the board appointed Angie Kistner to replace Carlock as the Vice President of Finance and Administration effective March 1. Kistner has worked full-time at RLC since 1999. She served as Financial Affairs Coordinator in the college's business office from then until 2003, when she was named the college's Controller.
"I wish to thank the college's Board of Trustees, administration, faculty and staff for their assistance in providing me with a professional career that was beyond my expectations," Carlock wrote in his retirement letter. "We have all heard many times that Rend Lake College is a great place to work, but one cannot truly appreciate that until he or she draws closer to retirement. Once again, I wish to thank everyone at RLC for allowing me to be a part of the finest community college in the world."
In addition to assisting in the development of the college's master plan, Carlock's duties through the remainder of his time at RLC will include assisting in the transition of his successor.
Haden Smith elected new Student Trustee
Learned that Haden Smith (Wayne City) was elected as the student member of the Board of Trustees for the 2013-2014 academic year. He is a sophomore majoring in Agricultural Production and Management, and he will be seated at the April board meeting. Smith replaces outgoing student trustee Kelsey Allen (Bonnie).
Wendy Smith becomes college's Controller
Transferred Wendy Smith from the position of Business Office Accountant to the position of Controller effective March 1. She has been with the college full-time since January 1999 and replaces Kistner as controller.
McBride joins Mining Tech faculty
Ratified the appointment of Donald McBride as Mining Technology Instructor, effective pending State of Illinois approval of the Revolving
Door Policy. McBride holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education from Northwestern University and most recently served as a Mine Safety Division Manager for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, having been with that organization from 1989 to the present. Prior to that, he was a repairman for Bushy Creek Coal Co.
Bids approved for two campus projects
- The board accepted the bid of $28,923 from Premium Mechanical and Automation of Jackson, Mo., for upgrades to HVAC controls at the RLC MarketPlace. One bid was received in response to the advertisement for bids. This equipment will be funded by PHS Levy funds.
- The board also accepted the low bid of $16,566 from Vaughn’s Roofing Inc. of Marion, Ill., for the reroofing of the RLC Foundation Children's Center.
In other business, the board ...
Approved revisions to board policy concerning the tenured / tenure-track faculty and staff seniority list (second reading).
Mark your calendars …
- "Into the Woods," RLC Spring Musical; 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, March 21-23, 2 p.m. Sunday, March 24, RLC Theatre.
- Phi Theta Kappa Induction Ceremony, 3 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, RLC Theatre.
- Student Art Show, March 28-May 3, RLC Theatre and Lobby; reception 6-8 p.m. Thursday, March 28.
- 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 9, RLC Orchestra Spring Concert, RLC Theatre.
- HLC Substantive Change Request Visit, Monday-Tuesday, April 15-16.
- 7 p.m. Thursday, April 18, RLC Student Recital, RLC Theatre.
- 7 p.m. Thursday, April 25, RLC Spring Concert featuring the Concert Band and Concert Choir, RLC Theatre.
- 4:30 p.m. Thursday, May 2, Faculty / Staff Recognition, Rend Lake Resort.