Join the RLC Clocktower Chronicle newspaper staff!
Sign up for JOUR 1103, which is the student newspaper practicum. Your tuition will be waived.
Participating on the newspaper provides all kinds of possibilities for you to express your creativity and get to know your college. There are many different roles to publishing a newspaper on-time and in-style, and packed with all kinds of fun and useful information.
If you want on board, just sign up (if you can self-advise) or tell your counselor you want to sign up for JOUR 1103. Not only is your tuition waived for this one-credit practicum, but RLC President Terry Wilkerson has agreed to give three credit hours of free tuition* to students who successfully complete JOUR 1103! That’s roughly $300 you can use the following semester!
In JOUR 1103, students are learning to:
- Generate story topics related to Rend Lake College and education;
- Develop skills interviewing sources for stories;
- Develop in various areas, such as photography, writing for brief and web platforms, and blog;
- Learn the various sources for stories and how to use them;
- Learn and practice writing within the Associated Press (AP) Style and its guidelines, and revise based on editor’s comments;
- Tour the site of a local employer in the industry to learn about pagination, plating and press - all functions leading up to the finished product;
- and implement the schedule for on-campus distribution of newspapers;
- Gain experience writing in different sections of the newspaper, e.g., sports, news and editorial;
- Work in a virtual office environment with other staff members to foster communication and teamwork to produce a quality product
*Tuition credit must be used the semester following that semester in which it was earned.