New curricula, courses approved
The board approved two new occupational certificates – Medical Coding and Nail Technology – as well as several corresponding courses and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action. The courses include: Medical Office Procedures, Essentials of Human Disease, Health Information Technology, Pharmacology Principles, Outpatient Billing and Reimbursement, Inpatient Billing and Reimbursement, Intro to Medical Coding, Introduction to CPT Coding, Intermediate Medical and CPT Coding, Medical Law and Ethics, Coding Practicum Nail Technology Theory I and II, and Nail Technology Clinic I and II. The Nail Technology certificate is associated with the Cosmetology program.
Bids accepted for machine shop equipment, routing table bids sought
Accepted the low bid of $34,500 from JBH Technologies of Glenview, Ill., for the purchase of a Trotec Speedy 400 Laser Engraving System, and the low bid of $21,172.33 from Torchmate CNC Cutting Systems of Reno, Nev., for a new CNC plasma cutter. In addition, the board granted permission to advertise for one new CNC routing table at an estimated cost of $40,000. The equipment will help build RLC's new sustainable design curriculum with funding from the Illinois Green Economy Network – Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training grant.
Division Chairs, Director receive new titles
The chairs of the college's four divisions as well as the director of the Center for Community and Corporate Education received new titles after the board approved the creation of corresponding dean positions, updated the job descriptions and approved the transfer of these individuals. Those being transferred are:
- Andrea Banach, Division Chair of Math and Sciences to Dean of Math and Sciences Division
- Henry "Buster" Leeck, Division Chair of Liberal Arts to Dean of Liberal Arts Division
- Chris Nielsen, Division Chair of Applied Science and Technology to Dean of Applied Science and Technology Division
- Lori Ragland, Director of the Center for Community and Corporate Education to Dean of Community and Corporate Education
- Kim Robert, Division Chair of Allied Health to Dean of Allied Health Division
These changes were made to more accurately reflect the job duties associated with each of these positions.
Sveda moves into new Financial Aid position
Appointed Rachel Sveda as Financial Aid and Admissions Coordinator effective Jan. 1. Sveda currently serves as Financial Aid Specialist at RLC. She holds Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees from RLC and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Paralegal Studies from Southern Illinois University Carbondale, and is scheduled to complete her Master of Science Degree in Education in May 2013.
Bertschi becomes temporary full-time in Cosmetology
Employed Melissa Bertschi as a temporary full-time Cosmetology Instructor. Bertschi has been a part-time instructor since November 2008 and will fill a temporary vacancy within the program.
Two resignations accepted with regret
Accepted with regret the resignations of Krystal Reagan, Coordinator of Technology Integration and Training, effective Jan. 7, 2013, and Shannon Epplin, Assistant Child Care Provider, effective March 28, 2013.
"As an employee of Rend Lake for over six years, I have been blessed with many great opportunities and have made lifelong friendships. I appreciate everything that RLC has provided me with and I will greatly miss everyone," Reagan wrote in her resignation letter.
Epplin wrote, "Thank you for the opportunities that Rend Lake College has provided me in the last seven years of employment. I will cherish the memories of each child who has come through my classroom, and all the people I have met."
In other business, the board ...
- Approved revisions to board procedure concerning fees.
- Approved the schedule of meetings of the RLC Board of Trustees for the 2013 calendar year.
- Approved the 2013-2014 Rend Lake College Catalog.
Mark your calendars …
- Homecoming, Wednesday Feb. 20, 2013; 5:30 p.m. Women's Game, 7:30 p.m. Men's Game, Waugh Gymnasium.
- "Into the Woods," RLC Spring Musical; 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, March 21-23, 2 p.m. Sunday, March 24, RLC Theatre.
- HLC Substantive Change Request Visit, Monday-Tuesday, April 15-16.