Fiscal Year 2013 budget approved
Approved the Fiscal Year 2013 budget as presented. As required by law, the budget has been available for public inspection for 30 days and a public hearing on the budget was held at 6 p.m. prior to tonight's regular board meeting. No public comment was made.
New courses, certificate approved; curriculum reactivated
Approved the reactivation of the Associate in Applied Science Degree in Manufacturing Technology as well as a new occupational certificate in that field and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action. A new course, Manufacturing Employment Skills, also was approved and authorized for submission to ICCB.
Student Center roof to be repaired
Granted permission to submit to the Illinois Community College Board a Protection, Health and Safety project to repair the Student Center roof, and granted permission to bid the project. The membrane on the low-slope portion of the roof has exceeded its 20-year warranty. On multiple occasions, leaks have been repaired where the low-slope roof meets the steep slope shingled roof. The flashings are aging and in need of replacement. The project is expected to exceed the ICCB's $50,000 limit and must be advertised for competitive bids.
Wintermann joins IT Department
Appointed Derek Wintermann as Distance Learning and Media Technology Specialist effective Sept. 19, and approved a revision to the accompanying job description. Wintermann holds an Associate in Science Degree from RLC and previously was a student worker to this position.
Security welcomes Brown
Appointed Charles Brown as Security Guard effective Sept. 18. He holds a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice from Southern Illinois University Carbondale and an Associate of Arts Degree from Rend Lake College. He has been a part-time security guard at RLC for the past two years.
In other business, the board ...
- Adopted a resolution appointing Bob Carlock, Vice President of Finance and Administration; Angie Kistner, Controller; Damon Sims, Assistant Chief of Security; and Charles Brown, Security Guard; as representatives of the RLC Board Secretary for the purpose of accepting candidate nominating petitions.
- Approved revisions to board policy and procedure concerning stipends (second reading) and purchasing technology equipment / audiovisual equipment (first reading).
- Approved revisions to board procedure concerning purchasing based on the implementation of the new business portal.
Mark your calendars …
- Fun Fest, Noon-3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 19, RLC Campus.
- RLC Foundation Golf Tournament, Thursday, Sept. 21; 11 a.m. lunch, noon shotgun start, Rend Lake Golf Course.
- Upward Bound Banquet, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 25, Rend Lake Resort.
- Faculty Recital, 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 10, RLC Theatre.
- RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, Thursday, Oct. 18, James "Hummer" Waugh Gymnasium.
- Fall Play: "Tom Sawyer," 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, Nov. 8-10; 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 11, RLC Theatre.
- Christmas Concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 27, RLC Theatre.