Rend Lake College’s Community Education Department has a slate of new classes available in the McLeansboro area this spring.
Women today have unique needs in determining investments which best suit their financial needs, the focus of “Concepts for Women Investors,” set for 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9, at Hamilton County Senior High School Room B154. This special investment seminar will provide information on the topics which concern women most. The importance of careful investigating, investment opportunities and avoiding high-risk investments are some of the topics which will be discussed.
This seminar is targeted toward women and presents sound financial planning strategies for beginning or experienced investors. Course cost is $5.
Continue to become a better investor with “Four Steps to a Stronger Portfolio,” scheduled for 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, March 9, at HCSHS Room B154. All investors need a financial plan which will help them determine how to reach their goals. Important factors for investors to keep in mind are defining their goals within the context of their time horizons and risk tolerances, and understanding their investments. This seminar will take participants through the steps which can better prepare their portfolios for the future. Course cost is $5.
A third investment seminar, “Fundamentals of Investing: Making Better Decisions About Your Money,” will be held over three Thursday sessions, from March 23 through April 6. Each session will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in HCSHS Room B154. This series will cover the fundamental issues for novice investors. Topics to be covered include why people need to invest, the importance of planning and the different investment options available, such as stocks, bonds and mutual funds. Cost is $10.
It never hurts to have the right card for the right occasion. Sign up for “Stamp a Stack – All Occasion,” set for 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 11, in the Hamilton County Courthouse basement. Class cost is $25.
During this fun workshop, each stamper will leave with four each of five themed cards – Birthday, Get Well, Thinking of You, Sympathy and All-Occasion – for a total of 20 cards. All supplies will be provided by the instructor except for mono adhesive, which participants will need to bring themselves.
Keep up the stamping fun with “Stamp ‘n’ Camp with Style,” which will be held twice this spring, Saturday, March 11, and Saturday, April 29. Both sessions will meet from 9 a.m. to noon in the courthouse basement. Each class costs $25. Stampers need to bring adhesive and will create five to seven cards / projects.
Digital photography is becoming a mainstay of American households. Learn more with “Digital Cameras,” to be held over four Wednesday sessions, from March 1 through March 22. Each session will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. at HCSHS Room B154. This class will provide information on what to look for when buying a digital camera. Participants will learn how to improve digital imaging by discussing common functions, adjustments to change images, spot meters and pixels. Students also will learn about file management and storage options. The class costs $24.
There will be several old favorites returning to McLeansboro this spring:
• “Poms (Grades 3-6) for Advanced Beginners,” five Monday sessions, Jan. 23 through March 6, 3-4 p.m., Eastside Grade School, $18.
• “Jazz (Preschool-Kindergarten),” five Monday sessions, Jan. 23 through March 6, 4-4:30 p.m., Eastside Grade School, $11.
• “Poms (Grades 1-2) for Advanced Beginners,” five Monday sessions, Jan. 23 through March 6, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Eastside Grade School, $18.
• “Jazz (Grades 1-6) for Beginners,” five Monday sessions, Jan. 23 through March 6, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Eastside Grade School, $18.
• “Basket Making,” 6-9 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13, HCSHS B153, $12 plus supplies (approx. $15).
• “Quilting,” six Monday sessions, Feb. 27 through April 3, 6-8 p.m., HCSHS B157, $36 plus supplies (approx. $20-$30).
• “Basket Making,” 6-9 p.m. Monday, March 13, HCSHS B153, $12 plus supplies (approx. $15).
• “Basket Making,” 6-9 p.m. Monday, March 20, HCSHS B153, $12 plus supplies (approx. $15).
• “Basket Making,” 6-9 p.m. Monday, March 27, HCSHS B153, $12 plus supplies (approx. $15).
There also is a line-up of Rend Lake College credit courses available in McLeansboro this spring: Introduction to Child Psychology, Geometry / Intermediate Algebra, Introduction to Computers, Contemporary College Math, Rhetoric and Composition I and II, and Principles of Effective Speaking. The college also offers Adult Education classes and CPR workshops in McLeansboro.
For more information or to register for any of these courses, contact Community Education Director Dawn Gibson at (618) 437-5321, Ext. 1267, or call Assistant Director Lori Ragland at Ext. 1367. Both can be reached toll-free (in-district only) at 1-800-369-5321, Ext. 1267 / 1367.