Twenty-year RLC veteran Bob Carlock has received the Bronze Gift Award for more than $10,000 in contributions to the Rend Lake College Foundation. Carlock is a former director of the RLCF.
Carlock, the RLC Vice President of Finance and Administration, has been with the comprehensive community college since May 27, 1986. In addition to generous donations to the Foundation, he has been responsible for spearheading several major initiatives at RLC:
• The establishment of a $5 million insurance reserve fund which allows Rend Lake College available insurance coverage in the event of a liability that goes beyond the general insurance coverage. In addition, the fund provides interest of $150,000 per year for tort liability purposes. The fund provided $1.3 million for the addition and renovation of the Administration Building.
• Pioneered the college’s textbook rental program, which made a large portion of textbooks available to students for $28 each rather than the purchase price of $75 to $100 for the same book.
• Established the Section 125 Cafeteria Employee Benefit Plan, which allows employees to take advantage of pre-taxable benefits for medical and day care expenses.
• Initiated the Illinois Community College Insurance Consortium. Along with seven other community colleges, a partially self-insured health insurance program was formed that works efficiently and economically with a premium raise of only 6.5% in 2006.
• Made Rend Lake College the first community college in Illinois to establish a supplemental loan program for students who had difficulty finding short term money for college needs.
• Worked with the college administration to purchase and renovate the Rend Lake College MarketPlace.
According to Pat Kern, Chief Executive Officer of the Rend Lake College Foundation, it was Carlock who really got the Foundation active when he was the Director, and back then, it was just a part-time position. Carlock said the Foundation could greatly benefit from a full-time director, the position in existence today.
At Rend Lake College, Carlock has served as the Director of the Business Resource and Assistance Center, Director of the Center for Business and Community Services, and Director of the Small Business Development Center. He was appointed Interim Dean of Finance and Administration before being permanently appointed to the position (now titled Vice President) in 1992. He also served as Director of the Rend Lake College Foundation for several years.
Carlock has a long history with higher education, having served initially as an adjunct instructor at McKendree College in Lebanon and later as Chairman of the Business and Social Services Division at Tarkio College in Missouri, where he also was an instructor. He also was part-owner and manager of Carlock Distributing Co. in Hillsboro and earlier worked as a marketing and sales representative.
No stranger to community service and development, Carlock has been associated with various organizations, including the Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce (of which he is a former president), Franklin County Chamber of Commerce, Illinois Community College Board Economic Development Association, National Council for Resource Development and the Jefferson County Certified Cities Program (chairman), among others.