Equipment purchased for Heavy Equipment Tech program
Authorized the purchase of a used John Deere 80 excavator with right-of-way mowing package for the Heavy Equipment Technology program for $40,000. A portion of the excavator will be used as a trainer and the excavator can be used as a cross-curricular training tool in the Diesel Technology and Agriculture programs.
DeMattei joins Information Technology staff
Appointed Jeffrey DeMattei as Administrative Computer Technician effective Feb. 11, and approved the creation of the position and its accompanying job description. DeMattei holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Systems Technologies from Southern Illinois University Carbondale and an Associate of Applied Science Degree as an Information Systems Assistant from Rend Lake College. He most recently was an Educational Technologist at Brehm Preparatory School.
Manion is new Foundation Assistant Director
Appointed Shawna Manion as Assistant Director of the Rend Lake College Foundation effective Feb. 11. She has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Economics and Finance from SIU Edwardsville and most recently was Director of Finance for Growkids Fundraising.
Tenure matters considered
Granted tenure to Betty Jo Herbert, Certified Nurse Assistant Instructor, effective Aug. 20. Administrative rationale states that Herbert has been an excellent addition to the Allied Health Division. Her supervisor, Allied Health Division Chair Kelli Lewis, said Herbert has been instrumental in developing a strong core of students from the first tier of CNA to the second tier of Practical Nursing
The board also extended for one year the probationary period of Political Science Instructor Greg Hollmann effective August 20 as he continues his graduate work.
Tuition rate set at $79 per credit hour
Approved an increase of $5 per credit hour to the in-district tuition rate effective with the Fall 2009 semester. The new tuition rate will be $79 per credit hour. This move was made in order to meet the forecasted budgetary needs of the college in light of the fact that RLC is expecting to receive level amounts of funding from state sources and in an effort to maintain non-deficit spending. The new rate allows RLC to remain competitive with its peer group schools and to maintain its stature as one of the most affordable colleges in the state.
One retirement, two resignations accepted with regret
Accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Becky Williamson, Executive Assistant to the President and Dean of Special Programs, effective Feb. 28. Williamson wrote in her retirement letter that she has met many good people and seen numerous changes in her 19 years with RLC. She was awarded the 1998 RLC Outstanding Office Support Staff Award.
The board also accepted with regret the resignations of Rhonda Bathon, Assistant Child Care Provider in the Pre-K program at the RLC Foundation Children's Center, effective Feb. 6, and of Jeff Woolsey, Police Officer, effective Jan. 21.
In other business, the board …
• Approved the notice of election for the student member of the RLC Board of Trustees.
• Approved a new board policy and procedure, Information Security Policy Framework and Guidelines for Rend Lake College, effective March 11 (first reading). According to administrative rationale, institutions must have a written identity theft policy in place by May 2009 as part of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction (FACT) Act of 2003.
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding the Tenured / Tenure-Track Faculty and Staff Seniority List (first reading).
• Authorized the college administration to seek bids for banking depository services from July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2012.
• Approved submission of the Statement of Final Construction Compliance on Protection, Health, and Safety Project for the North Oasis gutter replacement effective Feb. 10.
Mark your calendars …
• Election Day, Tuesday, April 7.
• Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 23, RLC Theatre.
• Board of Trustees Meeting, Tuesday, May 5 (seating of newly elected trustees).
• Board / Faculty / Staff Dinner, Friday, May 8, Rend Lake Resort Conference Center.
• Commencement, Friday, May 15, RLC Gymnasium.