Tentative FY 2010 budget approved
Approved the tentative Fiscal Year 2010 budget as presented. A budget hearing will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, August 18, in the Student Center.
Craig returns to ag roots, joins faculty
Appointed Kathy Craig to the position of full-time Agriculture Instructor effective Aug. 17. Craig presently is the Director of the Center for Business Services at RLC. She holds an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Agricultural Business from RLC, a Bachelor of Science Degree in Plant and Soil Science from Southern Illinois University Carbondale, and is working on her Master's Degree in Business Administration through McKendree University.
Brouwer to join Liberal Arts Division
Employed Nathan Brouwer as a full-time History Instructor effective Aug. 17. Brouwer has Bachelor and Master of Arts in History degrees from SIUC and most recently worked as a teaching assistant in the History Department there.
Two transfers approved
• Transferred Paula Myers from Cooperative Education and Employment Services Specialist / Truck Driver Training Coordinator to Director of the Center for Business Services effective Aug. 17. This is being done due to Craig's appointment as Agriculture Instructor.
• Transferred Jamie Cambron from Assistant Lead Child Care Provider at the RLC Foundation Children's Center to Lead Child Care Provider at the RLC Foundation Children's Center effective approximately Oct. 25.
New nursing position created
Granted permission to create an additional full-time Certified Nurse Assistant position, to advertise the position and to hire to fill the position with ratification at the August board meeting. This second position is needed due to the number of students awaiting entry into the program; there currently are no openings available until January 2010.
Three resignations accepted with regret
Accepted with regret the resignations of Kelli Lewis, Associate Degree Nursing Instructor, effective Aug. 15; Charlene Hudson, Job Preparedness Instructor at Big Muddy River Correctional Center, effective July 2; and Denny Myers, Student Transfer and Retention Support Specialist and Women's Track and Cross-Country Coach, effective June 30.
In other business, the board ...
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding fees.
• Approved the transfer of up to $1 million from the Bond and Interest Fund to the Education Fund effective July 15. This was done due to the timing of receipts from the state for various grant payments. The money will be transferred back to the Bond and Interest Fund when the money comes in from the state.
Mark your calendars …
• Illinois Community College Board Visit, Wednesday-Thursday, July 15-16, RLC Campus.
• Coal Mining Training Center Open House, Tuesday, Aug. 11, 10 a.m. program, 10:30 a.m. tours, demonstrations and refreshments.
• RLC Budget Hearing, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 18, RLC Student Center. Regular Board of Trustees meeting to follow at 6:30 p.m.
• RLC Foundation Golf Tournament, Thursday, Sept. 17, 2009, 11 a.m. lunch, noon shotgun start, Rend Lake Golf Course.
• RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, Thursday, Oct. 15, Rend Lake Resort Conference Center.
• RLC Foundation Annual Dinner, Thursday, Dec. 3, Mt. Vernon Holiday Inn.