2009 audit accepted
Accepted the Fiscal Year 2009 audit which was conducted by the firm of Clifton, Gunderson LLP of Springfield. No material weaknesses or issues of non-compliance were found.
2009 tax levy adopted
Adopted the 2009 tax levy (payable 2010) in accordance with Truth in Taxation compliance laws. The total levy this year is $4,493,547, an increase of 3.14 percent over last year's levy of $4,356,366. Because the levy is not greater than 105 percent of last year's levy, the college does not need to hold a Truth in Taxation hearing.
Barmes joins Children's Center full-time
Employed Bobbie Barmes as Assistant Child Care Provider at the RLC Foundation Children's Center effective Nov. 12. Barmes has worked part-time at the Center since 2008 and holds an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Early Childhood Education from RLC.
Cook named STARS Counselor
Employed Amy Cook as Student Transfer and Retention Support Counselor effective Nov. 13. She has worked part-time at RLC since 2007 as a Learning Enhancement Center assistant and GED instructor. She holds an Associate of Arts Degree from RLC as well as Bachelor's and Master's in Science degrees from Southern Illinois University.
Industrial Trainer Bowman retiring
Accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Sharon Bowman, Industrial Training Coordinator, effective March 31, 2010. She has been employed with RLC since Jan. 3, 2005. "Thank you for the opportunities for professional and personal development that you have provided me over the years," Bowman wrote in her retirement letter. "While I look forward to enjoying my retirement, I will miss working with the friends that I have made while employed by Rend Lake College."
Transfers and title changes ...
• Changed the job title of Andrea Banach, College Coordinator at Pinckneyville Correctional Center, to Director of Correctional Education. This was done to match the job description which was revised to reflect the Illinois Department of Corrections' change from School District 428 to Office of Adult Education and Vocational Services. Banach's duties and salary were not changed.
• Due to changes in the criteria for the grant that funded the IDOC Youthful Offender Counselor positions at Big Muddy River and Pinckneyville correctional centers, new job tasks and titles have been designated. The new job title for the former Youthful Offender Counselors – Peggy Hammond at PCC and Penny Murphy at BMRCC – is now Vocational Prep Instructor. A new job description was approved and the Youthful Offender Counselor job description was deleted. The salaries of the employees were not affected.
In other business, the board ...
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure concerning stipends for women's soccer head coach, women's soccer assistant coach and safety instructor (first reading).
• Approved the collective bargaining agreement with the Laborers' International Union of North America, the Southern and Central Illinois Laborers' District Council and Laborers' Local 1197 effective immediately. The agreement covers maintenance, custodial and grounds employees.
• Granted permission to bid the 2010-2012 RLC Catalog.
Mark your calendars …
• Madrigal Dinner Theatre, 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, Nov. 19-21; 1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 22; RLC Theatre. Dinner and show are $25; tickets must be purchased in advance.
• RLC 2009 Christmas Concert, Tuesday, Dec. 1, RLC Theatre.
• RLC Foundation Annual Dinner, Thursday, Dec. 3, Mt. Vernon Holiday Inn.