New program, courses approved
Approved a new certificate program, Agriculture Education, as well as three new courses and changes to other courses and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action. The three new courses are Professional Cooking III, Professional Artisan Bread and Restaurant Production Desserts, all part of the Culinary Arts Associate Degree program. In a related action, fees were set for these three classes. Changes to six existing Culinary Arts courses also were approved, as well as related changes to the Culinary Arts Associate Degree curriculum.
RLC welcomes four new employees
• Appointed Shelly Kuhns as the college's new Allied Health Division Chair effective July 1. She holds a Master of Science in Nursing Degree from Rush University in Chicago, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree from McKendree University, and an Associate Degree in Nursing from Kaskaskia College. She most recently was a nursing instructor at Millikin University, has taught part-time at both McKendree University and Rend Lake College, and has served as an emergency room nurse in Salem.
• Employed Brooke Pulke as Rend Lake College Foundation Children's Center Director effective July 1. Pulke currently is a service coordinator for Child and Family Connections and previously was a lead preschool teacher at St. Bruno School. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education from Southern Illinois University Carbondale and an Associate in Arts Degree from Rend Lake College.
• Hired April McCormick as Records Specialist effective June 15. She earned a Bachelor of Science Degree from Southern Illinois University Carbondale and both Associate in Science and Associate in Arts degrees from Rend Lake College. She previously served as a student worker in the financial aid offices of both RLC and SIUC.
• Employed Kristy Meagher as Administrative Assistant for the Center for Business Services effective July 1. She holds a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration from McKendree University and an Associate of Arts Degree from Rend Lake College, and most recently was a restaurant manager.
Annual RAMP document approved
Approved the Resource Allocation Management Plan for transmittal to the Illinois Community College Board. The college is required to submit the RAMP document each year. This is a type of "wish list" submitted by higher education institutions throughout the state, which are then combined at the state level and prioritized for possible funding. Projects on RLC's RAMP list include the Art program addition, a new Allied Health building, a Physical Rehabilitation and Fitness Center, a Telecommunications Center and a new Physical Plant Department building. Funds for the Art program addition could be released by the state this fiscal year.
Three employees moving on
• Accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Cheryl Glover, Administrative Assistant for the education programs at Big Muddy River Correctional Center, effective July 1. "I would like to thank all my coworkers at Big Muddy ... I wish them all the best and will miss working with everyone," Glover wrote in her retirement letter.
• Accepted with regret the resignation of Tracy Devoy, Administrative Assistant for the Math and Sciences Division, effective June 11. "I feel very fortunate to have been employed by Rend Lake College for the last seven years. My experiences and training have been invaluable, and I leave with many pleasant memories and great friendships," Devoy wrote.
• Accepted with regret the resignation of Richard Nowakowski, Horticulture Instructor at Pinckneyville Correctional Center, effective July 1.
In other business, the board ...
• Learned that about $11,000 was made at the college's annual obsolete equipment auction, which was held last month.
• Approved an inter-district cooperative agreement with Kaskaskia College. A cooperative agreement allows students to take programs at another college if their sending college does not have that program. They do not have to pay chargeback tuition and the sending college is able to receive state equalization.
• Approved the 2010-2011 RLC Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.
Mark your calendars …
• Licensed Practical Nurse Pinning Ceremony, 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 30, RLC Gymnasium.