Film enthusiasts in RLC district sought for competition

INA, Ill. (Jan. 23, 2014) – Community college students throughout Illinois are being asked to get their cameras ready to show off their school pride for a short film competition. The competition, hosted by the Illinois Community College Trustees Association (ICCTA), is asking students to create a five-minute film about their school and community to enhance school engagement, pride, and awareness.

There are some requirements students have to fulfill in the short film, including incorporating the college’s mission and motto, and filming within the college’s district. At least one student must be currently enrolled or a recent graduate of the 2013-2014 school year.

The deadline to register for the competition is 10 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 1. After the registration period is closed, filmmaking seminars will be posted for students to attend throughout February and March. The films themselves will be due in April.

Film scores will consist of a judgment by panel for 80 percent of the total, with the remaining 20 percent based on total YouTube views. After judging, finalists will have a special award ceremony and screening at the Chicago International Social Change Film Festival in September to determine the winner. The world premiere of the winning films will be featured at the National Leadership Congress in October.

There are two categories for the films – introductory and advanced. The first place film in each category wins a grand prize of $1,000, with $500 for second place and $250 for third. Winners will also receive film equipment.

For more information about the competition, or to register for free, visit www.reelillinois.org.


Illinois Community College Systems serve 65 percent of all students in higher education. There are 48 community colleges in Illinois. Films will automatically be eliminated with no exceptions if it contains explicit language, nudity, discriminates against one’s race, ethnicity, disability, religious belief, gender or sexual orientation.

Search RLC News Articles

enrollNowgiveNow
catalog
warriors
Canvas
foundation

Upcoming Events