FY 2014 budget adopted, tax levy decreases
The board adopted the final Fiscal Year 2014 budget, which was provided in tentative form at the August board meeting. A public hearing on the budget was held at 6 p.m., prior to the regular board meeting. There were no comments from the public.
In a related action, the board accepted the 2013 tax levy (payable 2014). The levy represents a slight decrease – 0.04 percent – over last year. The Corporate and Special Purpose levy went from $3,143,098 last year to $3,003,038 this year, a decrease of 4.46 percent. The Debt Service levy rose from $1,682,679 last year to $1,820,902 this year, an increase of 8.21 percent. The total of the two levies dropped slightly, from $4,825,777 last year to $4,823,940, a decrease of 0.04 percent.
Because the total of the proposed Corporate and Special Purpose and Debt Service levies is not greater than 105 percent of last year's levy, no Truth in Taxation hearing is required.
Two new employees join Community, Corporate Education
The board appointed two people as Administrative Assistants for the Community and Corporate Education Division:
- Erin Morris, effective Sept. 23. She holds a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism from Southern Illinois University Carbondale and Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees from Rend Lake College. She most recently was a deputy treasurer for Hamilton County.
- Whitney Chaudoin, effective Sept. 30. She holds Master's and Bachelor's degrees in Business Administration from McKendree University and Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees from Rend Lake College. She most recently served as front office scheduler at Asbery and Associates.
In a related action, the board accepted with regret the resignations of Lora Phillips, effective Aug. 18, and Kristy Meagher, effective Sept. 11. Both were Administrative Assistants for the Community and Corporate Education Division, necessitating the hires of the new employees. Phillips resigned to become RLC's new Medical Coding Instructor.
Two instructors join faculty ranks
Two new instructors were appointed:
- Lora Phillips, Medical Coding Instructor, on a temporary full-time basis effective Aug. 19. She has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Information Management from Illinois State University and Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees from Rend Lake College. She has served as an adjunct instructor for RLC and most recently was an administrative assistant in the Community and Corporate Education Division.
- Melissa Bertschi, Cosmetology Instructor, effective Sept. 1. She holds a Cosmetology Instructor certificate and Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees from Rend Lake College, and a Cosmetology certificate from Kaskaskia College. She has worked as an adjunct instructor and as service desk leader in RLC's Cosmetology program.
Hill-Stover takes reins of AHEC
The board employed Kelli Hill-Stover as Director of the Area Health Education Center on a temporary full-time basis effective Sept. 23. She earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Sociology from the University of Southern Indiana and recently was a project coordinator for Hamilton Memorial Hospital / Southern Illinois Rural Health Workforce Development.
Wagner to head up AmeriCorps
Appointed Margo Wagner as Director of Land of Lincoln AmeriCorps effective Sept. 23 and approved a revision to the accompanying job description. Wagner holds a Master of Science Degree in Educational Administration from Eastern Illinois University and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Elementary Education from Southern Illinois University. She has served as principal of Selmaville School District 10 and curriculum Director at Bluford Community Consolidated District 114.
Braden transfers to Student Services
Created an additional Records Specialist position and transferred Summer Braden to that position effective Sept. 20. Braden previously had served as Administrative Assistant to the Applied Science and Technology Division.
North Oasis roof replacement project goes to ICCB
Granted permission to submit to the Illinois Community College Board a Protection, Health and Safety Project application for replacement of the EPDM roof on the North Oasis. The project is expected to exceed the $50,000 limit set by ICCB guidelines and must be let for bids.
In other business, the board ...
- Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace (second reading).
- Authorized the destruction of closed session tapes having been held for more than 18 months, in accordance with the Illinois Open Meetings Act.
- Approved revisions to board procedure concerning employee selection and responsibilities for the selection process to reflect the current organizational chart.
- Approved creation of board policy and procedure concerning employee background checks (first reading).
- Approved revisions in salary regarding three employees.
- Approved the termination of employment of a maintenance technician.
Mark your calendars …
- RLC Foundation Golf Outing, Thursday, Sept. 19, Rend Lake Golf Course, noon shotgun start.
- Fun Fest, Noon-3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25, RLC Campus.
- RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, 5 p.m. Monday, Oct. 14, Rend Lake Resort.
- Rend Lake College CNA Conference, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Oct. 18, RLC Theatre.
- Halloween Concert and Party, Tuesday, Oct. 29; 6 p.m. concert in the Theatre, 7 p.m. party in the Student Center.