INA, Ill. (Feb. 11, 2020) — Tuition rates will remain flat next school year at Rend Lake College.
At Tuesday night’s RLC Board of Trustees meeting, the board approved keeping the in-district tuition rate at $110 per credit hour for the Summer 2020, Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 terms — the same as it is this year. Out-of-district and out-of-state tuition rates will also remain the same.
The board stated RLC will be able to maintain its strong financial position and meet forecasted budgetary needs without increasing tuition rates. That will allow the college to stay competitive with other schools and maintain its stature as one of the most affordable community colleges in the state.
Truck driving expansion
The Board of Trustees approved bids for truck driving equipment through a grant funded by the Delta Regional Authority.
The grant helps cover the purchase of a $63,650 semi-truck from Truck Centers, Inc in Mt. Vernon, an $82,476.65 mobile alignment system from D&D Equipment Sales in Carbondale, and expansion of the RLC Murphy-Wall Pinckneyville Campus for $40,688 through Miller’s Concrete of Bonnie. Learn more at rlc.edu/trucking.
Student Trustee Election
The board approved notice of election for the Student Board Member on the Board of Trustees. Notice of election will be published in district newspapers, per the Illinois Public Community College Act. The student will serve a one-year term beginning with the April meeting. Candidate filing for the position is Feb. 12-26 and the election will take place March 3-5. Learn more at rlc.edu/studenttrustee.
Blair appointed as Administrative Assistant
The board approved the appointment of Faith Blair as Administrative Assistant of Arts and Sciences on a full-time, non-tenure contract, effective Feb. 18. Blair holds an Associate of Science from Southeastern Illinois College and previously worked as a paraprofessional and substitute teacher at Norris City-Omaha-Enfield School District #3.
Wilson hired as Records Specialist
Brody Wilson was appointed by the board as a Records Specialist on a full-time, non-tenure contract, effective Feb. 5. Wilson is a 2016 graduate of Rend Lake College and received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville in 2019. He previously worked as an accounting clerk for Dennis Shafer, CPA.
Robertson appointed as Communication Specialist
Brooke Robertson was approved by the board as Communication Specialist on a full-time, non-tenure track, effective Feb. 18. Robertson holds Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees from Rend Lake College.
Lingle appointed as Programmer
Edwards granted tenure
Computer Networking Instructor Chris Edwards was approved by the board for tenure, effective Aug. 8, 2020. Edwards, in his sixth full-time semester as an instructor, developed the Unmanned Aircraft Systems program at RLC. He serves as a Canvas mentor and helps recruit for the college on- and off-campus.
Jones approved for tenure
The board approved Diesel Technology Instructor Colin Jones for tenure, effective Aug. 8, 2020. Jones, in his sixth full-time semester teaching at RLC, has coordinated on-the-job training for students in all agricultural programs. He is also certified as a Manufacturing Skills Standard Council instructor.
Wiley granted tenure
The board approved Dr. Susan Wiley, nursing instructor, for tenure, effective July 19, 2020. Wiley, in her sixth full-time semester teaching, recently earned her doctorate and continues to pursue professional development opportunities to keep up to date in the nursing field.
In other business:
- The board approved fee revisions, which will add or reduce fees for 15 courses at RLC for the Fall 2020 semester.
- The board updated the faculty seniority list for its tenure-track faculty.
- Nathan Biggerstaff, Director of TRiO Student Support Services and Upward Bound at RLC, presented to the board information on the TRiO program, which helps low-income students cover school expenses and funds different extracurricular opportunities.
- The board approved revisions to its sexual harassment policy to ensure it is current with recent legislative changes and to better reflect the organizational chart. The updated policies are effective March 10.
- The board OK’d the creation of a new stipend for the Men’s Assistant Golf Coach. The stipend is for $3,250 for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester.
- The board granted permission to seek proposals for audit services for Fiscal Years 2020 through 2022. The contract with the college’s current audit firm, CliftonLarsonAllen LLP, expired with the conclusion of the FY 2019 audit.
- The board is seeking bids for banking depository services between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2025. The current agreement with Peoples National Bank is set to expire on June 30.
- The board approved the payment of travel reimbursement expenses.
Mark your calendar
- Dueling Keys for CTE will start at 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15 at the Scheller Playhouse.
- A faculty/staff in-service will take place Tuesday, Feb. 18.
- Poet Allison Joseph will do a reading and book signing at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20 in the Student Center Private Dining Area.
- RLC’s first Culinary “Chopped” Competition will take place Saturday, Feb. 29 in the RLC Culinary Kitchen and Private Dining Area. Doors open at 7 a.m. and the competition will take place 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- An art demonstration by illustrator Eric Velhagen will take place at noon March 3 in the Learning Resource Center, Room 103.
- Kick Start Your Journey will take place 9 a.m. - 1:45 p.m. on March 10 and March 11 on the RLC Ina Campus.
- Advisory Board Meetings will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 17 in Waugh Gymnasium.
- The RLC Student Art Show Reception and Awards will be on Thursday, March 18 in the RLC Theatre and Lobby. The reception starts at 6 p.m. with the awards at 7 p.m.
- The Culinary Showcase will be 5-8 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays from March 19 to May 8 in the RLC Private Dining Area.
- Diversity Week will take place March 23-27 at RLC.
- Career Connections will take place 8:45 a.m. - noon Wednesday, March 25 in The REC.
- An Illinois Rural Health Association Forum will be 6-8:30 p.m. Thursday, March 26 in the Learning Resource Center.
- Jon Garrett and the Gateway Men’s Chorus will perform at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, March 31 in the Learning Resource Center, Room 107.
- The 2020 Spring Musical “Little Women” will take place at 7 p.m. April 3-4 with a Sunday matinee performance at 2 p.m. April 5 in the RLC Theatre.
- The Ag Banquet will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 8 in Waugh Gymnasium.