Partnership between RLC and SIUE established
The board approved a Partnership Agreement between Rend Lake College, District #521 and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, effective August 06, 2019. This partnership agreement will establish a pathway engineering transfer program for students to obtain an Associates in Engineering Science degree from Rend Lake College and then transfer to one of the following Southern Illinois University Edwardsville baccalaureate programs - Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics & Robotics Engineering.
FY 2020 Tentative Budget approved
The board approved the tentative FY 2020 budget as presented. As required by law, the proposed budget will be available for public inspection for thirty (30) days and a public hearing on the budget will be held at 6:00 p.m. prior to the regular board meeting which is to be held on September 10, 2019.
Protection, Health and Safety Projects revised
The board granted permission to revise the Protection, Health and Safety Projects (PHS Levy) funds for FY 20. Replacement of the Hot and Chilled Water Piping System from the Vocational building to the LRC and North Oasis buildings was approved at the September 11, 2018 Board Meeting. Since then, the institution has been awarded Capital Funds for this project. In place of the Water Piping System replacement, PHS LEVY FY 20 will be used to replace the Academic Roof. The current roof is 28 years old and has exceeded its life expectancy. This project is expected to exceed the $50,000 limit set by Illinois Community College Board’s guidelines and must be advertised for competitive bids. There are not sufficient funds available in the Operations and Maintenance Funds to complete these projects.
Custodial Supervisor position created
The board granted permission to create the position, approve the job description, advertise for and ratify the appointment of a Custodial Supervisor. This position is necessary to manage and supervise the custodial department for all shifts and at the three campus locations. During the budget impasse, portions of this position were filled by the grounds supervisor.
Kathy Evans joins as Grant Writer
The board ratified the appointment of Kathy Evans as Grant Winter on a full-time, 50-week, non-tenure-track contract, effective July 29, 2019, pending a successful background check. Evans possesses the education and experience needed to be successful in the position and she is experienced in proposal writing, administration, and implementation of Federal grants.
Meinert named full-time welding instructor
The board ratified the appointment of Mike Meinert as Welding Instructor, on a full-time, 50-week, tenure-track, industrial contract, effective August 15, 2019. Meinert has been a valuable member of the Rend Lake College program for nine years as an adjunct instructor. During this time, Meinert has grown professionally and continued to advance his skills and education. He recently completed his AAS in Welding Technology, became a certified trainer for Manufacturing Skills Standard Council (MSSC) and has assisted with MSSC classroom instruction. He has working knowledge and experience of OSHA regulations and holds an OSHA 10 – General Industry card.
Nevarez appointed to Arts and Sciences
The board ratified the appointment of Kelsi Nevarez as Administrative Assistant – Arts & Sciences at Rend Lake College on a full-time, 50-week, non-tenure-track contract, effective August 12, 2019. Nevarez will fill this position due to the recent transfer of Kelsey Page. This candidate exceeds degree requirements and was chosen by the committee for the position based upon her years of experience at and passion for Rend Lake College and her experience with multiple requirements of the posted position.
In other business, the board...
- Approved a revision to Rend Lake College Policy and Procedure regarding vehicle usage for college travel.
- Approved the 2019-20 Employee Handbook.
- Approved the revision of job descriptions as provided.
- Approved revisions to the Rend Lake College Policy and Procedure regarding fees, effective Spring Term 2020.
- Approved changes to existing curriculum, and a request to develop an online course, and to authorize their submission to the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) for action effective on the dates provided.
- Held a first reading on revisions to the Rend Lake College Policy and Procedure regarding travel reimbursement.
- Approved a change to the calendar year 2019 Board of Trustees meeting schedule, as presented.
- Approved a revision to the FY 2020 salary for the Director of the Murphy-Wall Pinckneyville Campus, which was incorrectly reported at the July board meeting.
- Ratified the payment of college expenses including travel expense reimbursements as presented.
Mark your calendars...
- Warrior Days Workshops | 10 a.m. – noon on Wednesday, August 10 in the RLC Theatre
- AgHERculture Health and Wellness Event | 11 a.m – 1 p.m. Wednesday, August 14 at FarmHouse Harvest, Benton
- Faculty Orientation | 1 – 8 p.m. Thursday, August 15 in the RLC Theater
- Student Success Workshop | 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Friday, August 16, 2019 in the RLC Theater
- Warrior Days Workshop | 10 a.m. – noon on Saturday, August 17 in the RLC Theatre
- Super Saturday at RLC (one-stop for fall classes registration) | Noon - 2 p.m. Saturday, August 17 on the Ina Campus
- Frist Day of Fall Classes | Monday, August 19
- Visiting Artist; Marie Samuels | September 3 – October 11 in the Theater Lobby
- Fun Fest | Noon – 3 p.m. on Wednesday, September 11
- Annual RLCF Golf Outing | Thursday, September 12 at the Rend Lake Golf Course
- Art Demonstration; Marie Samuels | Thursday, September 19 in LRC 103
- SIU Filmmakers | 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, September 24 in the RLC Theater
- Faculty/Staff In-Service | Tuesday, October 15 in the RLC Theater
- RLCF 30thAnnual Scholarship Dinner | 5 – 8 p.m. on Thursday, October 17 at the Benton Civic Center