Financial Aid Leaderboard image 1

Types of Financial Aid

Grants, scholarships, tuition waivers, loans and student employment are available to RLC students. Students who are eligible for financial aid may defer payment of tuition, fees, books, and supplies up to the amount of aid they are receiving. 


Federal Pell Grant ▼

The Pell Grant is a federally funded program that helps undergraduates pay for a college education. It is based on financial need and does not have to be paid back. Current eligible expected family contribution (EFC) numbers range from $0 - $6656. The current range of the pell grant is $767 - $7,397. The Federal Pell Grant provides gift money for college-related expenses to students demonstrating financial need. To apply, a student needs to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportuity Grant (FSEOG) ▼

FSEOG is a federally funded program offered to students with the greatest need. All students who complete the FAFSA, have the lowest expected family contribution, and who receives the Federal Pell Grant will be considered for the FSEOG award. A student must maintain a 2.5 GPA and be enrolled in at least half-time in order to be awarded FSEOG. There is a limited amount of FSEOG funds so it is important to complete your FAFSA as early as possible. Rend Lake College awards FSEOG ranging from $300-$600.


Monetary Award Program (MAP) ▼

Provides money for payment toward tuition to eligible students who are and have been Illinois residents for a year prior to the start of the academic year. This grant is based on financial need as determined from information obtained from the FAFSA application.


Student loan opportunities are available at Rend Lake College.

How do student loans work? ▼

Rend Lake College offers alternative educational loans to students who need additional financial assistance beyond grants, scholarships, and federal work study. These student loans are offered by private banks and lending institutions. Interest rates, repayment options, and terms vary by lender. Most students will need a credit-worthy co-borrower to increase the probability that the loan will be approved and ensure the lowest interest rates.

Students can usually meet their educational costs through a combination of financial aid and family resources. It is only when all resources do not meet educational costs that a student should consider borrowing an alternative loan. Students should carefully consider whether borrowing is the best option for them.

Students interested in borrowing a loan should complete the steps below.



Complete your FAFSA ▼

  • Students interested in borrowing an alternative loan must have a valid Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with Rend Lake College.
  • Complete your FAFSA online HERE


Choose a lender ▼

  • Alternative educational loans are offered by private banks and lending institutions of your choice. Interest rates, repayment options, and terms vary by lender. Most students will need a credit worthy co-borrower to increase the probability that the loan will be approved and ensure the lowest interest rates.


Check with Financial Aid ▼

  • Check with the Financial Aid Office to Ensure Loan Processing. (618) 437-5321 ext. 1385
  • The Financial Aid Office will be notified that a loan is awaiting action from the school.
  • It may take a few days for the loan to be processed and an award letter mailed to the student.
  • We will not certify alternative loans for an amount that exceeds the student’s cost of attendance minus other financial aid the student is receiving.
  • After the loan is certified, the lender will send the loan funds to RLC, and we will make a final assessment of the student’s eligibility.
  • If the student remains eligible, the funds will be transferred to the Business Office and applied to outstanding charges. If there are loan funds remaining, refunds will be disbursed via the BankMobile selection 30 days into the semester.

note icon IMPORTANT!!! During the application process, you must choose one of the following loan periods.

Summer 2024 Loan Period - 6/3/2024 - 7/26/2024
Fall Only 2024 Loan Period -8/19/2024 - 12/13/2024
Fall/Spring 24/25 Loan Period - 8/19/2024 - 5/16/2025
Spring Only Loan Period - 1/13/2025 - 5/16/2025
Spring/Summer 2025 - 1/13/2025 - 5/16/2025

The Financial Aid Office administers both the Federal Work-Study and the Institutional Work-Study program. To apply for student employment, you must fill-out the FAFSA form and a Rend Lake College Student Employment Application. Student employment is available to students enrolled at least half-time, with priority given to full-time students.

button apply curved


The Rend Lake College Foundation offers a variety of scholarships each academic year. Click HERE for scholarship details. 


Academic award recipients are selected by award committees led by the Deans of the college. Academic awards are given in varying dollar amounts based on several factors. The recipient must:

  • Have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with the Financial Aid office
  • Be a full-time student and maintain that status
  • Maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher for each semester and a 2.5 GPA overall
  • Remain enrolled in the program for which the award was initially granted
  • Submit a letter of recommendation

Recipients of academic awards may reapply each year. More information is available from the Division Deans or the Office of Financial Aid in the Administration Building. 


Presidential Scholarships, which cover tuition and books, are awarded to high school seniors within the Rend Lake College district. To be eligible, a student must have high class rank covering seven semesters and be in the upper 10% of his / her graduating class. One award may be granted per in-district high school. This full academic award may be renewed for a second year as long as the student maintains a 3.0 GPA. Students should contact their high school counselor if they believe they may qualify.


The High Achievers Scholastic Award covers the cost of tuition at Rend Lake College. It is awarded to in-district high school students who excel on the ACT/SAT. Awards are tiered, based on scores. To receive this award, students must enroll at RLC immediately after graduating high school and maintain a 3.0 GPA for continued eligibility. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at (618) 437-5321, Ext. 1385.

  • ACT 26 or SAT 1240 = 1 Semester
  • ACT 27 or SAT 1280 = 2 Semesters & 1 Summer Semester
  • ACT 28 or SAT 1310 = 3 Semesters & 1 Summer Semester
  • ACT 29 and up or SAT 1340 and up = 4 Semesters & 2 Summer Semesters

The cost of tuition is free for in-district high school students taking Rend Lake College dual credit classes. For in-district high school students taking dual enrollment classes, tuition up to eight hours per semester is half-cost, and full cost for additional hours after eight. Students need to apply to Rend Lake College and receive permission from a high school official to enroll in classes at Rend Lake College. Fees and books are still the responsibility of the student. High school students wishing to take college classes through dual credit or dual enrollment must be junior or senior status or 16 years or older. For more information on dual credit and dual enrollment, contact the Academic Advisement Center at (618) 437-5321, Ext. 1385.

Office of Financial Aid
Phone: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1385
Email: [email protected]
Address: 468 N. Ken Gray Parkway, Ina, IL 62846 Attn: Financial Aid
Fax Number: (618) 437-5677 Attn: Financial Aid