The Rend Lake College Upward Bound program is a federally funded college preparatory program designed to provide academic support, personal/career counseling, and cultural/social enrichment to participants who have the academic ability to be successful in college. Services are provided to students during the academic year, summer program and summer bridge component.
The ACADEMIC YEAR component emphasizes academic achievement, team building and goal setting activities that include:
- Weekly tutorial sessions at the student's target high school with Upward Bound staff members.
- Financial aid and scholarship assistance for high school seniors.
- Monthly Saturday workshops designed to foster cultural, social, community service, academic and career skills.
- Monthly stipend based on student’s grades, participation in program activities, attitude and behavior.
The SUMMER PROGRAM is the most intensive aspect of the Upward Bound year. This component includes:
- One week residential program at Rend Lake College; students will be housed in RLC apartments located south of campus.
- Five weeks of classes (Monday through Thursday) at the Rend Lake College campus. Classes include Math, English, Foreign Language, Lab Science and various electives intended to promote academic success. Students may receive one college credit hour per Upward Bound class.
- Career Internships (Fridays); students who have completed the 10th or 11th grade are given the opportunity to job shadow a professional at an approved internship location.
- Monthly summer stipend based on student’s grades, participation in classes, attendance, activities and career internship.
- End of the year reward trip to a major city which include campus tours, special events, cultural and recreational activities.
The SUMMER BRIDGE COMPONENT gives students who have graduated from high school the previous semester the opportunity to attend classes at RLC campus. This component includes:
- Enrollment in up to six (6) college credit hours paid for by RLC Upward Bound.
- Paid books and fees for summer RLC classes
- Monthly stipend based on student’s grades in college classes.
All activities are provided at NO COST TO THE STUDENT.