College unveils new website
The Information Technology Department gave the board a tour of the college's redesigned website. Web developer Garrett Collier and other members of the college staff and faculty have been working on the redesign for several months. Collier explained that the new site features a more modern look and feel and has been streamlined to allow for easier editing and updating by college employees.
Clinton Electric to install lighting upgrades
Approved the low bid of $65,969 from Clinton Electric of Ina for the installation of sidewalk light poles from the Aquatics Center patio to the Sports Center. The project will be paid for with Protection, Health and Safety funds.
McCormick moves to Financial Aid
Appointed April McCormick as Financial Aid Specialist effective June 16. McCormick currently serves as Records Specialist in the Student Services Department at RLC. She holds a Bachelor of Science Degree from Southern Illinois University Carbondale and both Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees from RLC.
Adams joins Business Office staff
Ratified the employment of Lana Adams as Accounts Receivables Specialist effective May 1. She holds an Associate in Science Degree from Rend Lake College and has worked as accounting office clerk and guest service manager at Mt. Vernon Holiday Inn.
College seeks new Allied Health Instructor
The board granted permission to create the position and advertise for an additional Allied Health instructor. Due to increasing numbers in all Allied Health programs, a qualified instructor is needed to help in the nursing programs and other areas within the Allied Health Division as the college strives to meet the needs of the community in the healthcare field.
Veteran Moore to retire
Accepted with regret the retirement resignation of custodian Brenda Moore, effective June 30. "I have enjoyed and appreciated my years at Rend Lake College," Moore wrote in her retirement resignation. "After 23 years, I regret to leave such a great family and friends."
Two new courses approved
Approved two new courses – Math for Health Occupations (MATH 1408) and Allied Health English and Reading Bridge (PREP 1403) – and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action.
In other business, the board ...
• Retained the services of Chapman and Cutler LLP as bond counsel and First Midstate Inc. as bond underwriter for an upcoming bond issuance. According to Bob Carlock, Vice President of Finance and Administration, the issuance is a refunding, similar to refinancing, of current bonds which will save the college more than $680,000 over the next five years. Ed Cunningham, Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees, thanked Carlock for his efforts and said it is ideas such as these that help keep the college solvent.
• Approved the list of obsolete materials to be sold at auction at 5 p.m. Thursday, June 7, at the 4-H facilities on the Ina campus.
• Approved revisions to board policy concerning inventory (second reading) and stipends (first reading), and revisions to board procedure concerning collection of student fees and debts.
• Approved a new board policy and procedure concerning the use of college resources by employees for the providing of professional services for a fee (first reading).
• Approved a revision to the amount of coverage needed under a surety bond for the district as required by state statute. The amount must be no less than 25 percent of the total of all bonds, notes, mortgages, moneys and effects of which the Treasurer is to have custody. After a review of current cash balances, investments held and bonds outstanding, it was determined that the college needs a surety bond in an amount no less than $20,316,716 to meet the legal requirement for the protection of the district's counties and the state of Illinois.
Mark your calendars …
• Associate Degree Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 10, James "Hummer" Waugh Gymnasium.
• Commencement, 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday, May 12, James "Hummer" Waugh Gymnasium.
• GED Graduation, 7 p.m. Thursday, June 14, RLC Theatre.
• Practical Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 7 p.m. Thursday, June 21, RLC Theatre.