Music rooms named as part of RLC Foundation fund-raising project
Several music rooms were named as part of a fund-raising project to help boost and renovate the Music program at RLC. Naming opportunities were an intricate part of the plan, the goal of which was to raise $50,000 for the project. The project was spearheaded by the Rend Lake College Foundation, and through the generosity of donors, the effort ultimately raised more than $100,000. The new room names are:
- Henry Leeck & Cindy Leeck Practice Room
- Hunt Bonan Classroom
- Mary B. Pericolosi Practice Room
- Mary Ellen & John D. Aiken Classroom
- Rubenacker Family Practice Room
- Spears Practice Suite
- Sweeten Corridor
Bids accepted for machining equipment
Accepted the bid of $39,235 from JBH Technologies Inc. of Glenview for the purchase of a new computer numerical control (CNC) routing table. The board also accepted the bid of $34,504 from Haas Factory Outlet of St. Louis for the purchase of a CNC milling machine. The equipment will help build RLC's new sustainable design curriculum with funding from the Illinois Green Economy Network – Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training grant.
PMA services takes over management of investments
Adopted a resolution authorizing participation in the Illinois School District Liquid Asset Fund Plus through PMA Securities Inc. RLC recently was informed by Merrill Lynch Wealth Management that a corporate decision had been made to eliminate all business relationships with community colleges. RLC administrators contacted different investment managers to evaluate potential transfer of funds, and ultimately recommended transferring the college's existing investments to PMA and using their services for the management of those investments. PMA manages the investment portfolios for 18 other community colleges and has experience in compliance issues as they relate to Illinois state statutes and community college regulations.
Agriculture's Mueller moving on
Accepted with regret the resignation of Mark Mueller, Agricultural Mechanics Associate Professor, effective Dec. 31, 2012. "I have truly enjoyed teaching at Rend Lake College and appreciate the opportunities it has provided," Mueller wrote in his resignation letter. "Rend Lake College is a great institution with an outstanding faculty and staff, and also an amazing group of students who enroll each year to learn and grow."
Four full-time appointments made
- Eric Breeze, Police Officer, effective Jan. 22. Breeze is a detective with the Mt. Vernon Police Department and has been a part-time police officer at RLC since October 2012. In addition, Breeze has 2,700 hours in job-related training.
- Amy Epplin, Financial Aid Specialist, effective Jan. 9. She holds a Master's Degree in Business Administration and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Finance / Economics, both from Southern Illinois University Carbondale. She has worked part-time in the Financial Aid Department at RLC since last year and has been an adjunct business instructor since 2006.
- Ronald Hudson, Police Officer, effective Jan. 22. He holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Administration of Justice and Political Science from MacMurray College. Hudson currently is a patrol captain with the Mt. Vernon Police Department and was a part-time police officer at RLC in 2011 and 2012.
- John McKinney, Agriculture Instructor, effective Jan. 8. McKinney holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture Education from Murray State University and an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Agricultural Production and Management from RLC. He most recently served as nutrient management specialist and district technician for the Graves County Conservation District.
In other business, the board ...
Approved revisions to board procedure concerning the organizational chart, job descriptions and stipends, and revisions to board policy concerning sick leave and personal leave (first reading).
Mark your calendars …
- Visit Artist Series: Dr. David Brewer and Kris Killman, Jan. 18-Feb. 28, RLC Theatre Lobby.
- Thespian Comedy Improv, 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24, RLC Theatre.
- Classical Guitar Concert, 1 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 6, RLC Theatre.
- Homecoming, Wednesday Feb. 20, 2013; 5:30 p.m. Women's Game, 7:30 p.m. Men's Game, Waugh Gymnasium.
- Art Demonstration: Jerome Wisehart, 12:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, RLC Theatre.
- "Into the Woods," RLC Spring Musical; 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, March 21-23, 2 p.m. Sunday, March 24, RLC Theatre.
- Phi Theta Kappa Induction Ceremony, 3 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, RLC Theatre.
- Student Art Show, March 28-May 3, RLC Theatre and Lobby; reception 6-8 p.m. Thursday, March 28.
- HLC Substantive Change Request Visit, Monday-Tuesday, April 15-16.