Tentative FY 2013 budget approved
Approved the tentative Fiscal Year 2013 budget. As required by law, the proposed budget will be available for public inspection for 30 days and a public hearing on the budget will be held at 6 p.m. prior to the regular board meeting scheduled for Sept. 18.
Swann takes reins of Enrollment Management
Appointed Jason Swann as Dean of Admissions and Enrollment Management effective Aug. 16. This position was created in order to streamline and strengthen the college's recruitment, marketing, enrollment and retention efforts, placing critical components of these efforts under one umbrella. Swann holds a Master of Arts in Education Degree from McKendree University as well as a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from Blackburn College. He currently serves Rend Lake College as College Recruiter, Academic Advisor and Dual Credit Coordinator. Swann has been employed full-time at RLC since May 2005.
Three appointments made
The board appointed:
- Krystal Reagan as Coordinator of Technology Integration and Training effective Aug. 16. This is a new position created to coordinate process and systems documentation, ERP technology training and ongoing technology integration efforts. She holds a Master's Degree in Education from Lesley University in Cambridge, Mass., a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Radio / Television from Southern Illinois University Carbondale, and a certificate in Distance Education from Indiana University. She has been the Distance Learning and Media Technology Specialist at RLC since May 2008.
- Raquel Maxey as Upward Bound Advisor effective Sept. 3. She has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education from Southern Illinois University and an Associate of Arts Degree from Rend Lake College. She has been a summer instructor in the Upward Bound program for the past three years and also has taught part-time for the college's Liberal Arts Division.
- Keith Young as Programmer / Analyst effective Aug. 16. This is a new position created to assist with data conversion, testing, validation, module integration and report creation for the current and future ERP requirements. Young holds a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science from Southern Illinois University Carbondale and an Associate of Science Degree from RLC. He most recently was a software engineer for Windstream Communications / Q Services of Evansville, Ind., and has taught computer classes at RLC as an adjunct instructor in the past.
Security's Whisenhunt retires, Sims promoted
Accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Sam Whisenhunt, Assistant Chief of Security and Safety Officer, effective July 31. "I appreciate the opportunity I have had to work for the college. It has been a privilege to work with so many excellent personnel," Whisenhunt wrote in his retirement letter. He had been employed full-time at RLC since October 2004.
In a related action, the board transferred Damon Sims from the position of Police Officer to Whisenhunt's vacated position effective Aug. 16. He holds an Associate in Applied Science Degree from RLC and has been employed full-time at the college since October 2008.
Upward Bound's Hargraves moving on
Accepted with regret the resignation of Tara Hargraves, Upward Bound Advisor, effective Aug. 17. She will return to school full-time to pursue a master's degree in education psychology. "It has been a rewarding experience working with RLC students and high school students around the area," Hargraves wrote in her resignation letter. "I have been fortunate enough to see the positive impact made by faculty and staff on these students. I would like to thank all faculty and staff for making Rend Lake College an excellent place to work and for students to learn."
RLCF kicks off Music Department fund-raising campaign
Heard a report from RLC Foundation CEO Shawna Hall that the Foundation is beginning a fund-raising campaign aimed at improving the college's Music program. Goals for the program include renovations and upgrades to the music rooms and practice rooms, plus the purchase of much-needed equipment.
In other business, the board ...
- Approved revisions to board procedure concerning job descriptions, and revisions to board policy and procedure concerning stipends (first reading).
- Appointed Marvin Scott as the voting delegate for the Association of Community College Trustees Congress.
- Approved an interdistrict cooperative agreement for educational cooperation with Illinois Eastern Community College. These agreements allow students to take programs at another college if their sending college does not have that program. They do not have to pay charge back and the sending college is able to receive state equalization.
Mark your calendars …
- Illinois College Exposition, 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18, James "Hummer" Waugh Gymnasium.
- Fun Fest, Noon-3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 19, RLC Campus.
- RLC Foundation Golf Tournament, Thursday, Sept. 21; 11 a.m. lunch, noon shotgun start, Rend Lake Golf Course.
- RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, Thursday, Oct. 18, James "Hummer" Waugh Gymnasium.