Two new positions created
Granted permission to create the positions, approve the job descriptions and advertise for two new positions effective July 10:
- Dean of Admissions and Enrollment Management – In order to streamline and strengthen the college's recruitment, marketing, enrollment and retention efforts, the creation of this position is necessary. With relatively stagnant population growth in our district, the college must intensify its outreach efforts to attract new students, educate prospective students about the benefits Rend Lake College has to offer, retain current students, and review the experiences of outgoing students. The creation of this position also will place several critical recruitment and retention departments under one umbrella. This position will report to the Vice President of Student Services.
- Coordinator of Technology Integration and Training – The Enterprise Resource Planning system development is moving into a stage in which greater emphasis will be placed on documentation, training and software integration. It is in the best interest of the college to create a new position and hire the most qualified candidate to coordinate process and systems documentation, ERP technology training and ongoing technology integration efforts.
Three transfers approved
- Christina Hutcheson from the position of Director of Institutional Research to the position of Director of Adult Education and Family Literacy effective July 1. Hutcheson originally was hired as the Director of Adult Education and Family Literacy, and that position became vacant with the resignation of Jamil Steele. She has expertise in the Adult Education and Family Literacy Department and will be a tremendous asset.
- Vickie Schulte from the position of Director of Student Records / Registrar to the position of Director of Institutional Research effective July 1. The institutional research position was vacated due to Hutcheson's transfer. Schulte will bring expertise to the position because she is familiar with the college's Enterprise Resource Planning system and the numerous reports regularly required by the Illinois Community College Board.
- Kelly Downes from the position of Executive Assistant to the Vice President of Student Services to Director of Student Records / Registrar effective July 1. The student records position was vacated by Schulte's transfer. Downes has more than a decade of experience in the Student Services Department and has expertise in its various facets, including student records, registration, graduation and others.
Vice Presidents Payne, Witthoft announce retirements
Accepted with regret the retirements of Lisa Payne, Vice President of Career Technical Instruction, effective July 1, 2014, and Andrea Witthoft, Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness, effective Jan. 1, 2017.
"Working in the Illinois Community College System is a very rewarding career," Witthoft wrote in her retirement letter. "I will miss all the good people here who focus on providing opportunities and services that contribute to the success of the students, the community and Rend Lake College."
"I am grateful to everyone at Rend Lake College for providing me with a wonderful place to work for the past 28 years. Rend Lake College gave me more opportunities than I thought were possible and I enjoyed them all," Payne wrote.
Brown, Conner join records staff
Appointed Natalie Brown as Records Specialist effective July 11. She holds Associate of Science and Associate of Arts degrees from Rend Lake College and has worked as a part-time records specialist for RLC since last year.
In addition, the board appointed Leah Conner as a temporary full-time Records Specialist effective July 11. She holds a Bachelor of Science Degree from Southern Illinois University and an Associate of Arts Degree from Rend Lake College, and most recently served as a youth outpatient counselor.
Schenk becomes executive assistant
Ratified the employment of Gina Schenk as the Executive Assistant to the Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness effective July 2. She holds Associate in Applied Science degrees in Office Systems Technology with specializations in Administrative Assistant and Health Information Assistant, and also holds Microsoft User and Medical Transcriptionist occupational certificates, all from Rend Lake College. She most recently worked as a medical transcriptionist in Marion and also worked as a systems coordinator for patient processing at Good Samaritan Regional Health Center in Mt. Vernon.
Additional programmer / analyst sought
Granted permission to advertise for an additional programmer / analyst for the Information Technology Department. The position is needed to assist with data conversion, testing, validation, module integration and report creation for the current and future ERP requirements.
Roedl, Steele moving on
Accepted with regret the resignations of Terry Roedl, Director of Information Technology, effective Sept. 6, and Jamil Steele, Director of Adult Education and Family Literacy, effective July 3.
"I wish Rend Lake College the best in their future endeavors," said Roedl in his resignation letter.
"I wish you nothing but success going forward and will miss working with you and many of my coworkers. My employment with Rend Lake College has been an opportunity to both learn and to contribute," Steele said in his resignation letter.
In other business, the board ...
- Approved the 2012-2013 Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.
- Approved interdistrict cooperative agreements for educational cooperation with Southeastern Illinois College, John A. Logan College and Shawnee Community College. These agreements allow students to take programs at another college if their sending college does not have that program. They do not have to pay charge back and the sending college is able to receive state equalization.