Spring 10th-day enrollment up 16.1 percent
Vice President of Student Services Charley Holstein reported to the board that head count for the 10th day of Spring Semester 2008 is up 16.1 percent from last year, rising from 3,648 to 4,236. Credit hours generated were up 12 percent, rising from 31,506 at this time last year to 35,278 at present. Dual-credit hours, which also are expected to be up substantially, are not included in these credit-hour totals as of yet. RLC President Mark S. Kern said it is possible that the college could break the 80,000-credit-hour mark for the year. Last year's credit hours totaled 76,322.
Tenure for seven
Granted tenure effective Aug. 18 to seven employees: Brian Greer, Agriculture Mechanics Instructor; Carrie Ragan, Biological Science Instructor; Paul Sandrock, Chemistry Instructor; Elizabeth Bailey-Smith, Communications Instructor; Jena Jensik, Counselor; Daphne Mitchell, Cosmetology Instructor; and Erin Butler, Cosmetology Instructor.
Bowlin transferred to Counseling Center
Transferred Nicki Bowlin from Director of Upward Bound to Academic Counselor effective March 7. Bowlin holds Master and Bachelor of Science Degrees from Southern Illinois University Carbondale and has been with RLC since January 1998.
Tuition set at $74 per credit hour for Fall 08
Approved an increase in the in-district tuition rate from $69 to $74 per credit hour beginning with the Fall 2008 semester. The move was made in order to meet the forecasted budgetary needs of the college in light of the fact that RLC is expecting to receive level amounts of funding from state sources and to maintain non-deficit spending. According to the administration, the increase will allow RLC to remain competitive with its peer group schools and maintain its stature as one of the most affordable community colleges in the state.
Track bleachers bid approved
Accepted the bid from Sturdisteel of Waco, Texas, to furnish the bleachers for the track at a cost of $58,400. Sturdisteel was the lowest of nine bids received.
Custodial Instructor Joplin leaving
Accepted the resignation of Mike Joplin, Commercial Custodian Instructor at the Pinckneyville Correctional Center, effective Feb. 16. "Thank you for the professional and personal development opportunities that you have provided me," Joplin wrote in his resignation letter. "I have indeed enjoyed working with my peers (and IDOC officers) at the Pinckneyville Correctional Center."
In other business, the board ...
• Approved administrative procedures regarding salary advancement and tenure.
• Approved a board policy (second reading) dealing with usage of college-issued laptop computers.
• Approved revisions to the college's organizational chart.
• Approved two new Agriculture courses (Introduction to Agriculture Education and Introduction to Agricultural Mechanization) and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action.
• Approved the Notice of Election of the Student Trustee.
• Approved a revision to the Music Instructor job description and approved a stipend for a Music Coordinator.
• Approved a cooperative agreement with Lewis and Clark College. Through this agreement, students in Lewis and Clark's district may enroll in RLC's Truck Driver Training program at in-district tuition rates, and RLC students may enroll in Fire Science and Process Operations programs at Lewis and Clark's in-district rates.
• Approved the submission of the Statement of Final Construction Compliance Report on the Protection, Health and Safety Project completed this year for the Locks and Security Devices Phase II.
• Retained the services of Clifton Gunderson LLP for the completion of an audit of the basic financial statement of Rend Lake College for the 2008 fiscal year. Clifton Gunderson has been the college's audit firm for several years.
Mark your calendars ...
• Homecoming 2008, Wednesday, Feb. 20.
• RLC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Banquet, 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, Student Center Dining Area.
• St. Louis Symphony Orchestra – String Quartet, 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 25, RLC Theatre.
• RLC Theatre Spring Musical, "Cinderella," 7 p.m. March 6-8, 2 p.m. March 9, RLC Theatre.
• Great Collaborators, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 27, RLC Theatre.
• RLC Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 24, RLC Theatre.
• Board / Faculty / Staff Dinner, 6:30 p.m. Friday, May 2, Rend Lake Resort Conference Center.
• Commencement, 7 p.m. Friday, May 9, Gymnasium.