INA – Benton Community High School students took five first-place spots and swept half of eight categories recently at Rend Lake College – one of 20 sites for the 31st Annual Illinois Drafting Educator’s Association, or IDEA’s, Regional competition. The remaining three top honors went to students from Mt. Vernon Township High School.
BCHS and MVTHS were the only two teams competing in the regional at RLC. The top two finishers in each drafting category will advance to the State Finals at Illinois State University in April. Regional competitions took place at 20 sites throughout the state on March 7. First-place plaques were provided by the state for regional competitors. RLC awarded plaques to the top three finishers in each category and each participant was given a Certificate of Merit.
The students took part in all-day testing in eight subjects – Introductory Board Drafting, Introductory Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), Machine Board, Machine CAD, Architectural Board, 2D Architectural CAD, 3D Architectural CAD and Solids CAD.
First place finishers were Daniel Chambliss (MVTHS) in Introductory Board, Randy Jones (MVTHS) in Introductory CAD, Michael Kraft (BCHS) in Machine Board, Justin McCoy (MVTHS) in Machine CAD, Travis Seddon (BCHS) in Architectural Board, Cameron Dunford (BCHS) in two-dimensional Architectural CAD, Ryan Scott (BCHS) in 3D Architectural CAD and Justin Vaughn (BCHS) in Solids CAD. RLC thanks both for bringing their teams to the competition.
First-place finishers in the Architectural categories are offered scholarships to attend RLC’s Architectural Technology Program. If they turn down the offers, the second-place student is given the chance to accept. More than 50 area students competed in the regional. Out of 24 top-three spots, BCHS students took 14. Both teams’ coaches are RLC architecture graduates – Gary Hatfield at MVTHS and Heather Sanders at BCHS.
“We look forward to having you come to Rend Lake College as a student of our architecture program, graphic design program [or others],” RLC Architecture Professor and IDEA Regional coordinator Kevin Weston told the group at the awards ceremony.
The 2008 IDEA Regional saw 1,157 students from 92 high schools with 129 coaches compete.
OVERALL RESULTS ...
- Introductory Board Drafting: 1. Daniel Chambliss (MVTHS); 2. Nicholas Houseworth (BCHS); 3. Robert Sanders (BCHS)
- Introductory CAD: 1. Randy Jones (MVTHS); 2. Jarell James (MVTHS); 3. Zachary Reeder (BCHS)
- Machine Board: 1. Michael Kraft (BCHS); 2. Trevor Furlong (BCHS); 3. Eric Poteet (BCHS)
- Machine CAD: 1. Justin McCoy (MVTHS); 2. Shayne Tackitt (MVTHS); 3. Ashley Campbell (BCHS)
- Architectural Board: 1. Travis Seddon (BCHS); 2. Adam Bradford (BCHS); 3. NONE
- 2D Architectural CAD: 1. Cameron Dunford (BCHS); 2. Amy Hawkins (MVTHS); 3. Chris Bradford (MVTHS)
- 3D Architectural CAD: 1. Ryan Scott (BCHS); 2. Eric Reed (BCHS); 3. NONE
- Solids CAD: 1. Justin Vaughn (BCHS); 2. NONE 3. NONE