INA – Area students ... get ready for a great summer at The Lake! Rend Lake College’s wide selection of Summer Camps offers something for every kind of camper.
The following is a list of camps, including the what, when, where and cost information for each. Readers who find what they are looking for can go to the end of the release to learn how to register.
CAMPS ON THE RLC CAMPUS
- GAME PROGRAMMING CAMP – Want to learn more about how games work? If you’re at least 16 yrs of age and can demonstrate a knowledge of fundamental programming skills, then this two week camp is for you! An RLC instructor will introduce you to the Lua programming language – the scripting language used by the most popular PC and console games on the market today! Qualified students can earn 3 hours of college credit. Class size is limited to 24 students, so sign up and reserve your place early! Costs: Textbook $34.95, Tuition $207.00, Lab Fee $30.00. RLC waives the cost of tuition for any in-district student who is still attending high school at the time of enrollment. This camp is from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., Monday - Friday, June 9-20. Call 618-437-5321, Ext. 1271 for details.
- AQUA SPORTS – Campers will learn the skills, techniques, and rules of water polo, basketball, golf, and other water games. Camper must be able to swim 25 yards and jump in 7-foot water without fear. This camp is from 1-4 p.m., Monday - Thursday, June 9-12, for Grades 2-4, in the RLC Aquatics Lobby, with camp leader Laura Johnston. Cost: $55.
- BLASTOFF! 6 – Turn an ordinary summer into another adventure while attending this ultimate science camp at RLC. Don’t be concerned if you attended last year—Blastoff! 6 has new challenges in store for you in 2008. Participation in this camp will help students in developing a strong sense of self and connection to their environment. Each child will create his or her own rocket. Don’t miss this incredible opportunity to stimulate and educate young minds and bodies! This camp is from 1-4 p.m., Monday-Thursday, June 2-5, for Grades 4-7, in Science Bldg 115, with camp leader Greg Hollmann. Cost: $75.
- BOYS BASKETBALL CAMP – One fundamental will be covered each day. Individual instruction on all phases of shooting (layups, jump shots and foul shots), dribbling and ball-handling, passing, one-on-one defense and rebounding will be stressed. Daily participation in league play. Campers will be grouped according to age and ability. Features include Five-Man League Play, Three-Man Tournament Play, Individual Contests, Players’s Awards, Lectures and Instructional Films, Free Rend Lake College T-Shirt, Free Admission to All RLC Warrior Home Games. Campers will need gym shorts, a T-shirt, supporters, sweat socks and basketball shoes. (Most players will dress at home.) Campers should bring these things with them each day. Grades 1-3 will be from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday-Thursday, June 9-12. Grades 4-6 will be from 1 - 4 p.m. on the same days. Cost: $55 per camper (4 DAY CAMP) Location: Waugh Gym, RLC. Camp Directors: RLC basketball coaches Tim Wills and Dave Jackson.
- CHEERLEADING CAMP – K-8 Cheerleading will kick your summer into high gear! During your 4 fun-filled days, you’ll discover cheers, chants and spirit dances, while earning prizes. Squad cheerleaders get advanced instruction in floor cheers, basic stunting, dance and voice projection and compete for best all-around squad, most spirited and much more! Join us at RLC Cheerleading camp where jumping and yelling are more than OK! Grades K-8 will be from 1-4 p.m., Monday - Thursday, June 23-26. Middle schools squads will be from 9 a.m. to noon on the same days. Cost is $45 PER CAMPER (4 DAY CAMP). Location: Waugh Gym, RLC. Camp Directors: Bobbi Shadowens, Brittanie Ainslie and RLC Cheerleaders. Equipment: Come dressed and ready to cheer.
- COMPETITIVE EDGE SWIM CAMP – This camp will cover the proper mechanics for swimming competitive breaststroke. Breaststroke drills will be emphasized daily along with starts and turns. Camper must be 7 years old and able to swim 25 yards freestyle and backstroke. This camp is from 1-4 p.m., Monday - Wednesday, June 23-25, for Grades 1-8 in the Aquatics Lobby with camp leader Laura Johnston. Cost: $45
- “DOWN UNDER” DIVING – Learn to dive safely from a pool deck and starting blocks. Campers will progress from diving at deck level to the competitive level off the blocks. Springboard approaches and hurdle jumps will be included. Camper must be able to swim 25 yards and complete the front crawl and backstroke to participate in this camp. This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday - Wednesday, June 9-11 (and June 23-25) for Grades 2-6, in the Aquatics Lobby with camp leader Johnston. Cost: $45.
- GARBAGE PAIL SCIENCE – NO homework, NO paperwork—just lots and lots of awesome science experiments using stuff and junk. If you think science is boring and hard to understand, this class will change your mind forever. But don’t blink; you might miss one of the amazing, scientific reactions. This camp is from 1-4 p.m., Monday - Thursday, June 9-12, in Science Building 106 with camp leader Reba Boyer. Cost: $55.
- GIRLS BASKETBALL CAMP – Each day a new fundamental will be covered. Individual instruction on all phases of shooting (layups, jump shots and foul shots), dribbling and ball-handling, passing, one-on-one defense and rebounding will be stressed. Daily participation in league play. Features include Five-Girl League Play, Three-Girl Tournament Play, Lectures, Player Awards and a Free Camp T-Shirt. Campers will need gym shorts, a T-shirt, sweat socks, basketball shoes and towel. Campers should dress at home. This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon (Grades 1-3) and 1-4 p.m. (Grades 4-8), Monday - Thursday, June 2-5, at RLC’s Waugh Gym with RLC women’s basketball coach Glenn Box. Cost: $55 per camper (4 DAY CAMP).
- GIRLS SOFTBALL CAMP – Campers will learn the fundamentals of hitting fielding, pitching, base running and the mental aspects of the game. Participants may bring their own bat and helmet (not required). Each participant will be responsible for supplying her own ball glove and tennis shoes or rubber cleats. This camp is from 1-4 p.m., Monday- Wednesday, June 23-25, for Grades 4-9, at the RLC Softball Field. Cost: $45 per camper (3 DAY CAMP).
- GOLF CAMP – This is the most economical way to learn the correct golf swing. Hour-long sessions to teach the full swing, as well as chipping, putting and sand skills. Knowledge of the rules, safety and etiquette will also be covered. Features include Player Awards, Hands on Play and Instructional Films, and a Free Camp T-Shirt. Campers may bring their own golf clubs, but it is not required. Each participant should have soft spike or tennis shoes. This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday - Thursday, June 2-5 (or June 16-19) for Grades 3-8, at the RLC Driving Range on campus, with camp leader and RLC women’s golf coach Cindy Corn. Cost: $50 per camper or $90 for two campers (4 DAY CAMP).
- INSIDE-OUT COMPUTER KIDS – Discover your computer from the inside out during this 3 day camp! Find out all about a base system, then connect, install and configure the elements necessary to get your computer up and running. Now here’s the best part! Once your install and configuration is done, you get to take your computer home with you at the end of camp! Don’t miss out on this one-of-a-kind camp! This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday - Wednesday, June 9-11 (or 1-4 p.m. June 16-18) for Grades 4-7, in Advanced Technology Center Room 163 with camp leader Ron Murray. Cost: $75.
- LIL’LAKER GIRLS DANCE CAMP – If you love to dance, then this camp is perfect for you! The Laker Girls of Rend Lake College would like you to participate in their annual summer dance camp! You will be introduced to three dance routines in a variety of styles, one camp routine, as well as technical skills and more! Campers will be given a t-shirt, medals, trophies and lots of great memories. All dance routines will be choreographed according to age and ability level. Have a great time dancing the summer away! See you in June! (Jr High and HS squads may contact Brooke Taylor at RLC for private camps.) This camp is from 9 a.m - noon, Monday - Thursday, June 23-26, for Grades K-8, in the RLC Sports Center, with camp leaders Taylor and the RLC Laker Girls. Cost: $45.
- MARTIAL ARTS CAMP – Discover martial art training and improve your health and coordination while learning to work with others! Practice basic calisthenics and stretches; experience beginning stances. Learn fundamental blocks, punches and falls that can be combined into self-defense techniques. Following your mastery of falling safely on mats, you will begin to execute throwing techniques. By the end of this camp, you will feel fit and strong. Come wearing loose fitting clothes and participate in bare feet. This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday - Thursday, June 16-19, for Grades 1-7, in the RLC Sports Center with camp leaders Lou and Al Campbell. Cost: $55.
- ME & MY BUDDY: CAKE CREATIONS – Parents and caregivers will join with their favorite “little friend” to create cupcakes, a cake, and participate in activities with a “flowers and critters” theme. Children will have fun using icing, cookies, candies and their imagination to add features to their cakes. The camp will conclude with a parade around campus passing out some of their creations. Bring an apron or old shirt to camp. All tools and supplies will be provided. This camp is from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Thursday, June 12, for grades Pre-K and Kindergarten, in the Learning Resource Center’s Children’s Library, with camp leader Beth Mandrell. Cost: $19.
- ME & MY SWIM BUDDY – Parents and caregivers will explore the water with their little one during this fun-filled camp. Learn to safely work with your child in the water and the different “holds” to prepare him or her to swim. Children will be introduced to the water environment with games and songs. Swimsuits and towels required (swim diapers for children not potty trained). Child must be 2 yrs old. This camp is from 9-10 a.m., Monday and Wednesday, June 16 and 18, for Pre-K, in the Aquatics Lobby with camp leader Laura Johnston. Cost: $19.
- MOVIE MAKERS CAMP – Ready, Set, Action! Develop your camera and computer skills while creating your very own movie. Bring digital photos and music to add to your production. By the end of camp, you will have designed your very own movie on DVD! Camcorders will be provided. This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday - Thursady, June 23-26, for Grades 4-6, in Advanced Technology Center Room 175 with camp leader Karla Lewis. Cost: $55.
- ‘TRIBAL’ ART CAMP – Explore tribal art from around the world. Design and create your own masks, jewelry, and much more. Be inspired by the legends and music of tribal culture. Draw, paint, and collage to the rhythm of a tribal drum! This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday - Thursday, June 23-26, for Grades 1-3, in the RLC One-Room Schoolhouse with camp leader Michelle Montgomery. This camp is also available to Grades 4-6 from 1 - 4 p.m. on the same day and at the same location. Cost: $55.
- VOLLEYBALL CAMP – This camp will set athletes up for the upcoming season. Instruction will be given on the fundamentals of passing, setting, hitting and blocking. Basic offensive and defensive principles also will be shown. This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday - Thursday, June 16-19, for grades 4-5 and from 1-4 p.m. for Grades 6-8, on the RLC campus. Cost: $50 per camper (4 Day Camp).
- VOLLEYBALL SETTER/DEFENSIVE SPECIALIST CLINIC – The name says it all. This camp is from 8 a.m. - noon, Friday, June 20, for Grades 9-12. Cost: $25 per camper (1 Day Camp).
- VOLLEYBALL HITTING/BLOCKING CLINIC – Get four hours of intense instruction under the guidance of the RLC coaching staff and team, consisting of lectures, demonstration and drills to teach and refine your skills. All campers will receive a RLC Volleyball Camp T-shirt. Each participant should come dressed and ready to play. Bring your own kneepads, which are not required. This camp is from 1-5 p.m. Friday, June 20, for Grades 9-12, in RLC’s Waugh Gym, with camp leader Sara Crews. Cost: $25 per camper (1 Day Camp).
- WEIRD SCIENCE CAMP – See volcanoes erupt before your very eyes. Experiment with magnets, bubbles, Gak, slime and other mysterious things. Join us for a week of discovery during this “Hands On” science camp! This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday - Thursday, June 9-12, at RLC’s One-Room Schoolhouse, for Grades 1-3, with camp leader Cathy Sanders. Cost: $55.
- WEIRD SCIENCE 2 CAMP – If you liked Weird Science, you’ll love Weird Science II. More experiments, more messes, and lots more fun! You’ll discover scientific reactions using products such as Diet Coke and Momentos. All experiments are hands-on and totally awesome! This camp is from 1-4 p.m., Monday - Thursady, June 9-12, for Grades 1-3, at RLC’s One-Room Schoolhouse with camp leader Sanders. Cost: $55.
- WRESTLING CAMP – The camp will concentrate on instruction and drilling for beginning to advanced wrestlers. It will cover techniques and drills from the feet, top, and bottom positions, and also some live wrestling. Camp participants will learn in a fun atmosphere under the direction of our experienced RLC staff. Campers should come dressed and ready to play. This camp is from 9 a.m. - noon, Monday - Wednesday, June 9-11, for Grades 7-12, at the RLC Sports Center, with RLC wrestling coaches Kevin Tate and Tony Duncan, and the team. Cost: $35 per camper (3 DAY CAMP).
Any camper on any day can request a supervised lunch during camp. The cost is only $4 for this feature. Extend your camper’s fun by letting them attend both a morning and afternoon camp session. RLC students will collect your camper at the end of their morning camp, supervise their lunch, give them a campus tour and drop them off with their afternoon leader. Campers will need to bring a sack lunch and a drink/bottled water each day. Parents may collect their camper at 4 p.m. following their afternoon session. PLEASE NOTIFY THE OFFICE OF COMMUNITY EDUCATION AT
(800-369-5321 OR 437-5321, EXT. 1367) PRIOR TO THE DAY OF YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CAMP.
CAMPS IN MT. VERNON
- STRIKE A POSE – Learn the latest fashions and trends; make yourself feel just like a model! Discover the basics: skin care, make-up, nail care, latest hair styles, poise and etiquette. Develop self confidence, personality and social skills at this all day camp. Introduce the “new” you to family and friends during your runway walk at the end of the day. Camp fee includes lunch. Bring your favorite outfit. This camp is from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Thursday, June 19, for Grades 1-7, at Studio RLC in the RLC MarketPlace with the Studio RLC Design Team. Cost: $39.
CAMPS IN PINCKNEYVILLE
- RED, WHITE & BLUE CAMP – Join us in this camp and learn real life social studies in our
community. Each day you will meet a different person who works in the Pinckneyville community. We will discuss elections, immigration, government, and holidays. You will make your very own 18 month calendar. On the last day (Thursday June 12) we will take a walking tour of businesses on Walnut Street. (Please drop off your child at Dr. Denny’s Family Chiropractic, 208 S. Walnut, and pick your child up at McDonalds at 4 p.m.) This camp is from 1-4 p.m., Monday - Thursday, June 9-12, for Grades 2-4 with camp leader Beth Shanklin. Cost: $55.
- FAB, FIT & FEMALE – Learn how being a healthy girl is important. You will learn why overall wellness is not only a “must” but also enjoyable by discovering how healthy eating can actually taste good and how exercise can truly be fun! Each day we will explore healthy habits, and compile them in homemade handbooks. At the end of the camp, each student will take home her collection of tips for staying healthy as well as a certificate of completion. This camp is from 1-4 p.m., Monday - Thursday, June 16-19, for Grades 4-8, at the RLC Murphy Wall Campus Room 101, with camp leader Michelle Mohr. Cost: $55.
- SEUSSAPALOOZA – “If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good!” Join us in Suessapalooza, and you’ll become an expert on the man who invented everyone’s favorite Cat in the Hat! You will discover all of Seuss’s most beloved characters as well as learn how to write your own story, Seuss-style. Don’t think you’ve got what it takes to be a writer? You’ll never know until you try! “And will you succeed: Yes indeed, Yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!” At the end of the camp, you will have your very own collection of the daily activities, including your own Seuss-style story. This camp is from 1-4 p.m., Monday - Thursday, June 23-26, for Grades 2-4, at RLC Murphy Wall Campus Room 101 with camp leader Mohr. Cost: $55.
To register or for more inforamation, contact RLC Community Education at 618-437-5321, Ext. 1367 or 1267.