Bids sought for welding machines
Granted permission to advertise, ratify and award a bid for 14 welding machines as part of the Welding lab renovation at an approximate cost of $33,600. The purchase is necessary to meet the needs for training for Bechtel Construction Co. as wall as improving 14 welding booths in the existing lab in the Advanced Technology Center. The equipment will be purchased with grant funds.
Long-time professor Schuessler retiring
Accepted with regret the retirement resignation of David Schuessler effective Jan. 12, 2009. "For nearly 20 years I have had the professional pleasure of serving Rend Lake College and its community as both a computer science and music professor while enjoying the warm and friendly atmosphere of the college's staff and students," Schuessler wrote in his retirement letter. Schuessler has been with RLC full-time since August 1990.
ADN Instructor Lord moving on
Accepted with regret the resignation of Associate Degree Nursing Instructor Cindy Lord effective Dec. 26, 2008. "Thank you for the support and the opportunities that you have provided me during my employment," Lord wrote in her resignation letter.
In other business, the board ...
• Approved several courses and changes to two programs and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action.
• Approved the Affirmative Action Plan for Women and Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and Certain Protected Veterans effective Dec. 10.
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding paychecks. This revision will allow for student workers to receive their paychecks via direct deposit through Higher One.
• Approved the Agreement for Sharing of Student Data between RLC and in-district high schools for purposes of Perkins Title II (Partnerships for College and Career Success).
• Tabled a recommendation to make a partial payment of $400 toward the total pay increases for Fiscal Year 2009 for each non-bargaining unit employee.
• Accepted a low bid of $10,853.40 from United Graphics Inc. of Mattoon, Ill., for the production of the 2009-2010 RLC Catalog. The board also approved the catalog.
• Approved the 2009 travel reimbursement rate at 55 cents per mile effective Jan. 1, 2009, as recommended by the Internal Revenue Service.
Mark your calendars ...
• Period for filing nominating petitions for the RLC Board of Trustees, Monday, Jan. 19, 2009, through Monday, Jan. 26, 2009.
• RLC Homecoming (Men's and Women's Basketball Games, Dance), RLC Gymnasium.
• Election Day, Tuesday, April 7, 2009.
• Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 23, RLC Theatre.
• Board of Trustees (seating of newly elected candidates), Tuesday, May 5, 2009.
• Board / Faculty / Staff Dinner, Friday, May 8, 2009, Rend Lake Resort and Conference Center.
• Commencement, Friday, May 15, 2009, RLC Gymnasium.