Presidential search process ongoing
The search for a new Rend Lake College President continues. The Board of Trustees is in the process of scheduling interviews with three initial candidates for the position.
Samantha York elected Student Trustee
Learned that Samantha York of McLeansboro has been elected Student Trustee. She will be seated at the April 14 meeting of the RLC Board of Trustees. The Hamilton County Senior High School graduate is an Agricultural Business major, serves on the RLC Student Activities Committee and was a speaker at last year's RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner. She will take the seat vacated by outgoing Student Trustee Luke Thomas.
New program, classes approved
Approved a new program, Athletic Training, and nine related courses and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action.
Work on career-technical assessment ongoing
Heard a report from Interim Vice President of Vocational Instruction Lisa Payne that work is continuing on improving assessment of career-technical programs at RLC. The recent evaluation by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools showed that career-technical assessment could be improved. RLC offers more than 80 career-technical programs. Career-technical assessment has been done for years, but Payne said the documentation of that assessment needs improvement. The HLC requires a progress report on this lone issue in November 2011. "When the next HLC report comes out, I think you'll see that career-technical assessment is one of our bright and shining stars," Payne said.
Lab renovation submitted to ICCB
Approved submission of the Science Lab 108 Plumbing Replacement Project to the Illinois Community College Board. This project would remove the original galvanized piping, which was installed in 1972 when the building was constructed. This project, paid through Protection, Health and Safety funds, would coincide with the planned chemistry lab renovation, scheduled for this May.
Faculty union agreement revisions approved
Approved revisions to the RLC Faculty Union Agreement which will be in effect until June 30, 2011.
Fiscal Year 2009 salaries approved
Approved the salaries for administrative, administrative support and academic support personnel for Fiscal Year 2009. In determining the raises, consideration was given to the college's financial condition, state averages for comparable positions, local salaries and the percentage of increase granted to the instructional staff.
Children's Center's Dolce moving on
Accepted with regret the resignation of Peggy Dolce, Director of the RLC Foundation Children's Center and RLC MarketPlace Early Childhood Center, effective March 6. Dolce has accepted a position as Center Director of the Iowa State University Child Care Center at Veterinary Medicine with the Bright Horizons corporation. "I have had the privilege to be advised and supported by some of the finest individuals in higher education and will always remember my time here at Rend Lake College with fondness and respect," Dolce said in her resignation letter.
Other personnel matters ...
• Accepted with regret the resignation of Jeannie Mitchell-Collins from the stipend position of Coordinator of the Society for Success and Leadership. Mitchell-Collins will remain employed full-time as a Psychology Associate Professor.
• Accepted an amended retirement resignation from Associate Degree Nursing Professor Debbie Hampleman, in which her retirement becomes effective June 16 instead of May 15. Hampleman, the recipient of the 2007 RLCF Faculty Excellence Award, has taught full-time at the college since August 1990.
Changes to policy, procedure
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding changes to the office support staff salary schedule (second reading).
• Approved a new board policy and procedure, Information Security Policy Framework and Guidelines for Rend Lake College, effective March 11 (second reading). According to administrative rationale, institutions must have a written identity theft policy in place by May 2009 as part of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction (FACT) Act of 2003.
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding the Tenured / Tenure-Track Faculty and Staff Seniority List (second reading).
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding sick leave in order to bring the policy and procedure in line with State Universities Retirement System rules and regulations.
Mark your calendars …
• RLC Student Art Show Reception, 6-8 p.m. Thursday, March 12, RLC Theatre, awards at 7 p.m.
• The Great Collaborators concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, March 26, RLC Theatre.
• Fine Dining Series, "California Cuisine," 6 p.m. Friday, March 27, $25 per person, by reservation only, call (618) 437-5321, Ext. 1247. Prepared and served by RLC Culinary Arts students.
• RLC Job Fair, Thursday, April 2, James "Hummer" Waugh Gymnasium.
• Election Day, Tuesday, April 7.
• Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 23, RLC Theatre.
• Board of Trustees Meeting, Tuesday, May 5 (seating of newly elected trustees).
• RLC All-Sports Athletic Banquet, 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 6, Rend Lake Resort and Conference Center.
• Board / Faculty / Staff Dinner, Friday, May 8, Rend Lake Resort Conference Center.
• Commencement, Friday, May 15, RLC Gymnasium.