Mine rescue, safety training project to be bid
Granted permission to bid the construction of a Mine Rescue and Safety Training facility to be located on the north side of the Coal Mine Training Center. This facility addition will create a simulated mine entry and crosscut with moveable fire pits and other structures needed for mine rescue and safety training. The project construction estimate is $172,000 and will be funded through a Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity grant.
College catalog and bid approved
Approved the 2010-2012 Rend Lake College Catalog. The board also accepted the low bid of $7,034.17 from United Graphics of Mattoon, Ill., for production of the catalog.
Coach McLain moving on
Accepted with regret the resignation of Brent McLain, Assistant to the Vice President of Finance and Administration for Athletics, effective March 16. McLain also was coach of the Men's Track and Field and Cross-Country teams. "I feel that Rend Lake College is the best thing that has happened to me in my life other than my family. I will always be Warrior proud and continue to be proud to have served in a great institution," McLain wrote in his letter of resignation.
Courses, curriculum approved
Approved revisions to two curricula (PC Maintenance and Veterinary Technology), two new courses (Animal Anatomy and Physiology I and II for the Veterinary Technology program) and two new certificates (Early Childhood Certificate Level 1 and Level 2), and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action.
In other business, the board ...
• Heard an update from John Huffman and Don Prosser of the firm of Gilbert, Huffman, Prosser, Hewson and Barke, Ltd., of Carbondale regarding changes to the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information Act.
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding stipends (second reading). The board also approved a revision to policy and procedure regarding a stipend for an interim Trio Director (first reading).
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding employer-provided property as taxable fringe benefits (first reading) and fees.
• Approved the schedule of RLC Board of Trustees meetings for the 2010 calendar year.
• Approved the academic calendars for 2010 through 2012.
Mark your calendars …
• RLC Homecoming, Wednesday, Feb. 24, women's and men's basketball games, dance, RLC Gymnasium.
• RLC Spring Musical, "Cabaret," 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, March 4-6; 2 p.m. Sunday, March 7; RLC Theatre.
• Great Collaborators Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, March 25, RLC Theatre.
• RLC Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 22, RLC Theatre.
• Board / Faculty / Staff Dinner, Friday, May 7, Rend Lake Resort Conference Center.
• Commencement, Friday, May 14, RLC Gymnasium.