Sa/Nat wins Mine Rescue and Safety Training Facility bid
Accepted the low bid of $218,315 from Sa/Nat Industrial Construction of Mt. Vernon for the construction of the Mine Rescue and Safety Training Facility to be located on the north side of the Coal Mine Training Center. This facility addition will create a simulated mine entry and crosscut with moveable fire pits and other structures needed for mine rescue and safety training. The project will be funded through a Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity grant.
Tenure for five
Granted tenure to five instructors: Mark Mueller, Agriculture; Sara Alstat, Music; Greg Hollmann, Political Science; Erica Blumenstock, Practical Nursing; and Barbara Hampton, Reading / English. They will now have the title "associate professor" rather than "instructor."
According to Terry Wilkerson, Applied Science and Technology Division Chair, Mueller "has taken the initiative on several occasions to go above and beyond his normal workload to assist in department functions. [He] also serves as Land Lab Supervisor, partnering with industry to bring the latest research and opportunities to the campus and our students."
Alstat, a highly respected musician in her own right, has been instrumental in developing the Associate of Fine Arts Degree in Music Performance, which is now awaiting approval from the Illinois Community College Board. Her supervisor, Liberal Arts Division Chair Henry Leeck, said Alstat "has been instrumental in the success of the music program and musical events on campus."
Hollmann "has demonstrated a sincere willingness to assume new responsibilities," Leeck said. In addition to teaching, Hollmann also chairs the Online and Distance Education subcommittee of Academic Council and the Energy Saving Task Force on campus. Hollmann "considers it an honor to teach and it is clear he has a passion for teaching," Leeck said.
Blumenstock has been instrumental in developing online courses for the Practical Nursing program and has served on Program Assessment and Program Review committees. "She is an excellent teacher and uses a variety of teaching strategies. Erica is genuinely concerned with helping students succeed in our Practical Nursing program," said Dr. Gynelle Baccus, Interim Director of Nursing.
Hampton is actively involved in the College Preparatory Assessment Committee and serves as the lead instructor for that department. Hampton is "not just a supporter of her students, but a true supporter of Rend Lake College and its mission," said Leeck. "She is currently seeking out an advanced degree program specifically in reading to continue to hone her skills as a reading instructor."
Creely moving on
Accepted with regret the resignation of Amanda Creely, Job Preparedness Instructor at Pinckneyville Correctional Center, effective Feb. 19. "This has been the single most fulfilling experience of my professional career," Creely wrote in her resignation letter.
In other business, the board ...
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding the dress code (second reading); created new policy and procedure regarding recycling, waste reduction and procurement of recycled products (first reading); and approved revisions to board procedures regarding fees and the collection of student fees and debts.
• Approved the notice of election for the student board member of the Board of Trustees. Petitions may be filed from Wednesday, Feb. 10, through Friday, Feb. 19. The election will be held Tuesday, March 2, and Wednesday, March 3. The new student trustee will serve a one-year term beginning at the April board meeting.
• Approved revisions to board policy regarding the tenured and tenure-track faculty and staff seniority list (first reading), which is updated each February.
• Approved the submission of the Statement of Final Construction Compliance on Protection, Health and Safety Projects for the emergency generator at the RLC Foundation Children's Center, HVAC upgrades, replacement of the Vocational Building roof and plumbing for the Chemistry lab.
• Approved the 2010 travel reimbursement rate at 50 cents per mile effective Jan. 1, 2010, as required by the Internal Revenue Service.
• Granted an unpaid leave of absence to Danalyn Wilson, Job Preparedness Instructor at Big Muddy River Correctional Center, for the period of Feb. 16 through March 23.
• Approved the official college logo.
Mark your calendars …
• RLC Homecoming, Wednesday, Feb. 24, women's and men's basketball games, dance, RLC Gymnasium.
• RLC Spring Musical, "Cabaret," 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, March 4-6; 2 p.m. Sunday, March 7; RLC Theatre.
• Great Collaborators Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, March 25, RLC Theatre.
• RLC Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 22, RLC Theatre.
• Commencement, Friday, May 14, RLC Gymnasium.