Bids to go out for second phase of Welding Lab renovation
Granted permission to advertise for bids for Phase II of the Welding Laboratory renovation. Thirteen welding booths are needed in order to upgrade the south end of the existing lab. The estimated cost of the booths with the necessary accessories is $83,724, with an additional $13,200 for the cost of in-house renovation work. The booths will be purchased through a Department of Labor grant and the in-house renovation work will be paid through institutional funds.
Capital Renewal Grant projects submitted
Granted permission to submit the campus facility upgrade project to the Illinois Community College board for approval, and granted permission to bid the project after ICCB approval. The project includes installation of an ADA ramp at the Learning Resource Center, as well as auto door openers, sidewalk and interior lighting. The project is expected to exceed the $50,000 limit set by the ICCB and must be let out for bids. Funding available through Capital Renewal Grant Funds for Fiscal Year 2010 is $142,500.
Alternate revenue bond issuance approved
Approved a resolution relating to the issuance of General Obligation Capital Appreciation Community College Bonds for the purpose of defraying the ordinary costs of operating the district effective August 10, 2010. According to administrative rationale, "It has been determined that it is advisable, necessary and in the best interest of the district to defray the ordinary and necessary costs of the district to borrow $3,428,773 and to issue alternate revenue source bonds to repay this financial obligation."
Fiscal Year 2011 budget approved
Approved the tentative Fiscal Year 2011 budget effective July 1. As required by law, the proposed budget will be available for public inspection for 30 days and a public hearing on the budget will be held at 6 p.m. prior to the regular board meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 14. Interim Vice President of Finance and Administration Bob Carlock said the budget was figured on the college receiving three of its four quarterly payments from the state for FY 2011. The state's budget problems have created uncertainty as to how many quarterly payments community colleges can expect. Carlock said if the state comes through with three payments, there could be a surplus of more than $320,000; if the state only comes through with two payments, the college will be able to continue normal operations by dipping into reserves. In either scenario, no additional taxpayer money would be required.
Vahlkamp joins Applied Science team
Appointed Zach Vahlkamp as temporary full-time Heavy Equipment Technology Instructor for the Fall 2010 and Spring 2011 semesters effective Aug. 12. He holds Associate in Applied Science degrees in Agricultural Mechanics, Diesel Mechanics and Heavy Equipment Technology from Rend Lake College, and most recently served as a mechanic / operator for Crop Production Services. He currently teaches part-time at RLC.
Retirement, resignation accepted
• Accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Mary Ann Lewis, Records Officer, effective Jan. 1. Lewis has been employed full-time at Rend Lake College since Dec. 3, 1981, and was the 1994 recipient of the Outstanding Office Support Staff Award. "I suppose most people look forward to retiring. Me? I wish I could turn back the clock to 1981 and start all over again. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the opportunity to be a part of the Rend Lake College family for so long and for all of the opportunities I have been given," Lewis wrote in her retirement letter.
• Accepted with regret the resignation of Jeff Collins, Heavy Equipment Technology Instructor, effective Aug. 6. "My time here has been a wonderful experience. That you for your support these past years. I have truly made lifelong friends," Collins wrote in his resignation letter.
Representatives of the board appointed to accept nominating petitions
Adopted a resolution appointing Interim Vice President of Finance and Administration Bob Carlock and Controller Angie Kistner as representatives of the RLC Board Secretary to accept candidates' nominating petitions. The election will be held Tuesday, April 5, 2011. During this election, two trustees will be elected to six-year terms, one for an unexpired four-year term and one for an unexpired two-year term.
In other business, the board ...
• Approved inter-district cooperative agreements with John A. Logan College and Southwestern Illinois College. A cooperative agreement allows students to take programs at another college if their sending college does not have that program. They do not have to pay chargeback tuition and the sending college is able to receive state equalization.
• Approved the salaries for administrative, administrative support, academic support and office support personnel and authorized the administration to set appropriate contract lengths not to exceed one year. In determining the Fiscal Year 2011 salaries, consideration was given to the college's financial condition, state averages for comparable positions, local salaries and the percentage increase granted to instructional staff.
• Approved revisions to board policy regarding terms of appointment and termination of full-time employees, specifically the removal of references to custodians in this policy (second reading).
• Approved revisions to board policy and procedure regarding hourly pay rate for part-time employees (second reading) and stipends (second reading).
• Approved two new courses (Introduction to Children's Literature and Philosophy of Religion) and two new certificates (Enology and Viticulture) and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action.
• Approved a commission agreement with Joe Wilkerson, doing business as Uncle Joe's BBQ, effective Aug. 16.
Mark your calendars …
• Visiting Artist Series: Billie Brannan, Friday, Sept. 3, through Thursday, Oct. 14, RLC Theatre Lobby.
• RLC Foundation Golf Tournament, Thursday, Sept. 16, 11 a.m. lunch, 12 p.m. shotgun start, Rend Lake Golf Course.
• Visiting Artist Series: Carman Gray, Friday, Oct. 15, through Friday, Nov. 26, RLC Theatre Lobby.
• RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 21, Rend Lake Resort.
• RLC Fall Play, "The Three Musketeers," 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 4, through Saturday, Nov. 6; 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 7, RLC Theatre.