Budget approved, 2010 tax levy set
Approved the final Fiscal Year 2011 budget effective July 1. A public budget hearing was held at 6 p.m. Tuesday prior to the regular board meeting. Also, the board accepted the 2010 tax levy (payable 2011), which will be filed in accordance with Truth in Taxation compliance laws. The amount of the proposed corporate and special purpose tax levy is not greater than 105 percent of the prior year's levy, so there is no requirement to publish a notice of tax increase and conduct a Truth in Taxation hearing. The corporate and special purpose levy was determined to be $2,978,012, a 3.72 percent increase over last year.
Community Education, Center for Business combined
Granted permission to combine the departments of Community Education and the Center for Business Services into a new department, the Department of Community and Corporate Education, effective July 1. The action will provide greater efficiency amongst the current staff and is an effort to become more lean in today's adverse economic environment.
In addition, several current staff members in these areas were given new titles, and related job descriptions also were approved:
• Lori Ragland, from Director of Community Education to Director of Community and Corporate Education.
• Kristina Shelton, from Assistant Director of Community Education to Coordinator of Perkins and Community and Corporate Education.
• Paula Myers, from Director of the Center for Business Services to Specialist of Community and Corporate Education.
• Kristy Meagher, from Administrative Assistant for the Center for Business Services to Administrative Assistant for Community and Corporate Education.
Retirement, resignation accepted
• Accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Dorothy DeAngelo from the position of Manager of the Textbook Sales and Rental / Retail Store / Copy Center effective Oct. 1. She is a tribute to what a combination of dedication and education can do.
"Rend Lake College gave me a new career after 21 years of owning four clothing stores. Rend Lake College also introduced me to the college classes which led to an [Associate in Applied Science] Degree in 1997 and an [Associate of Arts] Degree in 1998," she wrote in her retirement letter. She went on to earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in 1999 and a Master of Science Degree in 2003 from Southern Illinois University. She added, "I am proud to have been a part of the introduction of the textbook rental program at Rend Lake College. It will always be my most proud legacy to have helped Rend Lake College make education more affordable for our students." DeAngelo plans to return to work part-time in the bookstore beginning in December.
• Accepted with regret the resignation of Lisa Bicanich from the position of Financial / Program Improvement Specialist at Project CHILD effective Oct. 29. "I have thoroughly enjoyed the years I have spent working with the wonderful people at Project CHILD," she wrote in her resignation letter.
New position created, applicants sought
Granted permission to create the position of Radiologic Technology / Computed Tomography Instructor, approved the accompanying job description and granted permission to advertise to fill the position. The position is needed due to the addition of an evening Radiologic Technology program, the addition of the Computed Tomography Certificate program, the development of an MRI Certificate program, the increased number of clinical sites used and the needs of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology accreditation.
In other business, the board ...
• Approved a new nursing course, Basic Venipuncture, and authorized its submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action.
• Approved revisions to board procedure concerning fees effective for Fall Semester 2010.
• Approved a monthly stipend for the position of Interim Manager of the Textbook Sales and Rental / Retail Store / Copy Center and appointed Casey Rhine, current Assistant Manager, to the position. This move was due to the retirement resignation of Dorothy DeAngelo.
• Approved adding AFLAC to the list of companies from which employees may choose for the providing of disability insurance coverage effective Sept. 15.
Mark your calendars …
• Visiting Artist Series: Billie Brannan, continues through Thursday, Oct. 14, RLC Theatre Lobby.
• Fun Fest, Noon-3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 15, RLC Campus.
• RLC Foundation Golf Tournament, Thursday, Sept. 16, 11 a.m. lunch, 12 p.m. shotgun start, Rend Lake Golf Course.
• Visiting Artist Series: Carman Gray, Friday, Oct. 15, through Friday, Nov. 26, RLC Theatre Lobby.
• RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 21, Rend Lake Resort.
• High School Counselors Conference, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29.
• RLC Fall Play, "The Three Musketeers," 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 4, through Saturday, Nov. 6; 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 7, RLC Theatre.
• RLC Christmas Concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 30, RLC Theatre.
• RLC Foundation Annual Dinner, 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 2, Mt. Vernon Holiday Inn.
• RLC Madrigal Dinner Theatre, 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 3, and Saturday, Dec. 4, and 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 5, RLC Theatre.