Buntin becomes new Student Trustee
Learned that Caleb Buntin of Thompsonville was elected as the new Student Trustee for the coming year. He replaces outgoing Student Trustee Cody Schwarze and will be seated at the April board meeting.
New certificate, new course, curriculum changes approved
Approved a new occupational certificate – Baking and Pastry Arts – for the Culinary Arts program and authorized its submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action. The same action was taken on a new Mining Technology course – Current Problems in Mine Rescue – and on changes to four existing courses: Mine Rescue I and II, Annual Retraining of Surface Area Miners and Electrical Qualification Retraining.
Whitehead moves to Student Services
Learned that Marcia Whitehead was transferred to the position of Records Specialist in the Student Services Department from the position of Administrative Assistant for the Adult Education and Family Literacy program effective Feb. 10. She has been employed full-time at RLC since October 2001.
Men's soccer program suspended
Granted permission to suspend the men's soccer program effective immediately. The program was added to the RLC athletic roster in 2008. In January this year, the men's soccer coach resigned. The recommendation to suspend the program was made based on a lack of state funding and tuition reimbursement, very few in-district high schools having soccer programs for recruitment and the resignation of the coach. No student-athletes have been recruited for the team for the 2011-2012 academic year.
In other business, the board ...
• Approved the submission of the Statement of Final Construction Compliance on a Protection, Health and Safety project for HVAC upgrades in the Aquatics Center, Coal Mine Training Center and North Oasis effective March 8.
• Approved revisions to board policy concerning the tenured / tenure-track faculty and staff seniority list (second reading).
Mark your calendars …
• Student Art Show Reception, 6-8 p.m. Thursday, March 10, RLC Theater.
• The Great Collaborators V, 7 p.m. Thursday, March 24, RLC Theatre.
• RLC Student Recital, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 7, RLC Theatre.
• Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 21, RLC Theatre.
• Board of Trustees Meeting, Tuesday, May 3, seating of newly elected trustees and reorganization.
• Board / Faculty / Staff Recognition, 3 p.m. Friday, May 6, 2011, RLC Theatre.
• Commencement, 7 p.m. Friday, May 13, RLC Gymnasium.