- Online Students - Home
- Online Degrees
- Online Learning Orientation
- Online Student FAQs
- Electronic Library
- Online/Hybrid Course Schedule
- Personnel Directory
- IT Help Desk
Computer Skills Required
In order to be successful in an online learning environment, you will need to have some basic computer skills. Your online learning experience will be less stressful if these competencies have been mastered:
- Operate a web browser
- Download, upload, and install files
- Access your e-mail account
- Send and receive e-mail with attachments
- Use a word processor to create and print documents
- Use presentation software (such as PowerPoint) to create presentation slides
For full Blackboard functionality, you must meet or exceed the following system requirements.
To effectively participate and gain all benefits of online instruction, you should have access to the following technology requirements.
- Microsoft Word, or other compatible word processing programs, such as OpenOffice or WordPerfect
- Microsoft PowerPoint or compatible viewer (such as OpenOffice presenter)
- Email software (Outlook Express, Eudora, or Thunderbird) or a free webmail service such as Gmail, Yahoo!, or Hotmail. As an RLC student, a WarriorMail account has been set up for your free access and use. For more information about WarriorMail see Step 2.
- Quicktime (a free Web browser plug-in for playing audio and video excerpts)
- Shockwave and Flash Player plug-in (free)
Additional Software Recommendations:
- Spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel (or another compatible program).
Some software packages are available free of charge. Please visit the Software Directory for available free downloadable versions. Also, additional technology information can be found on the RLC Information Technology page.