- Academic Home
- Academic Resources
- Academic Calendar
- Course Schedules
- Gainful Employment
- Student Handbook
- Online RLC Catalog
- Official RLC Catalog
- Adult Education & Family Literacy
- Allied Health
- Applied Science & Technology
- Community & Corporate Education
- Health & P.E.
- International Studies
- Liberal Arts
- Math / Science / Education
- Special Programs
General Educational Development (GED) classes help students prepare for the GED Tests to earn their high school equivalency diploma. Students will develop critical thinking and problem solving skills while studying the subject areas covered on the GED Tests. The Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) assessment is used to determine appropriate placement in GED classes.
GED classes include:
- Social studies
- Computer skills
Classes are conveniently scheduled throughout the Rend Lake College district in Franklin, Jefferson, Hamilton and Perry counties. Both day and evening classes are available.
Highlights of the Changes to the GED® Test in 2014
- The entire test will include four, not five, modules: Reasoning through Language Arts, Mathematical Reasoning, Science, and Social Studies.
- Two performance levels will be assessed: a high school equivalence and a higher level intending to demonstrate college and career readiness.
- Prior knowledge will be assessed.
- Rather than give an opinion or personal perspective in a 5-parapgraph essay, test takers will write a response that requires reference and analysis of given text.
- Over half of the Mathematical Reasoning test will asses algebraic problem solving.
- The test will be completely computer based.
- All tests will be computer scored giving detailed feedback about strengths and areas in need of development.
- Scores will be delivered to test takers through the individual online account created during registration.
- Scores will range from 100 to 200. The high school equivalency passing score will be 150 on each test, meaning a score of at least 600 will be needed to earn a GED.
- Registration will be available online 24 hours a day and will be done from any computer with internet access.
- The cost for all four modules is $120 with a $10 certificate fee. Each retake will cost $30.
- Registration fees must be paid by credit card or voucher and will adhere to a 24-hour cancellation policy.
For more information:
Rend Lake College
Adult Education and Family Literacy
468 N. Ken Gray Pkwy, IL 62846
(618) 437-5321, Ext. 1241 or Ext. 1244
Toll-free (In-District) 1-800-369-5321
GED® and the GED Testing Service® are registered trademarks of the American Council on Education® and may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of the American Council on Education